buying water?

you don't bother with the local "water and ice" or "waterboy" stores?

My RO needs filters again, and it's a whirlpool unit I'm not thrilled with. But upgrading isn't on the menu for another month or so. Need to buy water until i get an upgrade.

I have used Water and Ice locally for my swim tank... but I stay away for my reef tank.
I know a guy locally who uses them for all his tanks and has never really had a problem.
He does do like 15% water changes weekly and is very good at staying on top of things, so I am sure that makes a big difference.

I've used both Water stores here in town.
My father-in-law's tank get's about 5 gallons a month from the dispenser in front of Shell.
We have very little algae, guess we're just lucky.

Although, I did have a Cyano outbreak, that is clearing up pretty much on it's own.

I use water and ice exclusively. They will tell you the reading when you are buying last I was there it was at .70 You betcha Chris... :)

just got my own ro/di unit in today. plugged it in after work today and started to make water, got a maxcap 90gpd, so far so good but i dont know if it is reading right, what does the tds read coming in from the supply mine is at 438ish

just got my own ro/di unit in today. plugged it in after work today and started to make water, got a maxcap 90gpd, so far so good but i dont know if it is reading right, what does the tds read coming in from the supply mine is at 438ish

Here is the thing to be careful of... don't watch the meter for atleast the first 15 minutes of making water. After it has been running for atleast 15 minutes, then check the readings.
Since about Nov the TDS has been MUCH lower than I have seen it.
Not sure if Global has changed something or if it is due to colder weather.
I know Shane was getting same results.

thanks, today i started to fill a drum i have and found out that its higher during the day is that right? at about noon it was at 538 and at 10ish it went to about 515. is that what usally happens, new toy, just excited i guess.

thanks, today i started to fill a drum i have and found out that its higher during the day is that right? at about noon it was at 538 and at 10ish it went to about 515. is that what usally happens, new toy, just excited i guess.

no, usually the opposite, higher at night than day.
make sure you measure after it has been running for awhile.

no, usually the opposite, higher at night than day.
make sure you measure after it has been running for awhile.

Chris is correct! TDS is higher at night here in Maricopa because the water tends to be more stagnant as they shut some of the pumps down. Check the reading about 5 minutes after running water to get the true number, coming in I'm getting around 525 during the day.
Cheers:beer:

I will also add that the TDS has dropped dramatically as Chris stated. In the summer and fall I saw numbers as high as 900. Note this will cause you to burn through DI at a much higher rate ESPECIALLY at night, for this reason even though I have an auto shutoff on my Maxcap unit I still manually shut off the supply going to it, ensuring that I don not make water at night.

Back