Calcium deposits. Viniger?

Gordonious

I was given some old power heads, a floating magnet scraper and a couple of their things that had calcium deposits on them. I was listening to a podcast and I may have misheard them, but it sounded as if they were suggesting a diluted solution of white vinegar would help remove the deposits? I tried a razor blade, but was scratching the plastic badly which is just going to make them harder to clean in the future if I ever do get this off.

Jon

I soak pumps and other calcium encrusted stuff in straight white vinegar. I buy it by the gallon at Sam's.
About everything comes out looking like new. Just give it about 24 hours to do it's trick.

Same here I soak in undiluted white vinegar. I get the big 2G Costco size!

Any suggestions for the sticky stuff from price tags on things such as PVC fittings from Lowes or HD? Most of it doesn't matter to much because most of the PVC doesn't sit in the water, but I had a ball valve on a return line and after about a year it just looked horrible with all kinds of stuff stuck to it.

And I don't need to treat these with anything afterwards do I? (besides rinsing with tap water) Like can I do this in the same bucket I do water changes with, then just rinse it out well?

I make a vinigar-water soloution and put the pumps in the soloution and run them in it overmight and then that stuff will come off much easyer.

Vinegar does not hurt anything. You can add it directly to your tank to lower PH.

Pure white vinegar, the cheap sort. Harmless to the tank. Good for cleaning glass and equipment---and your bathroom shower.

For pvc tags, you can use acetone, just rinse well when done.

I also saw a thread that said there is a specific stuff you can buy to remove the stencils.
Don't know the name.

Acetone is cheap at all hardware and home stores.

It is also what the women use to clean the paint from their fingers/toes.
I think that has perfume in it though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8079251#post8079251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by erc111
For pvc tags, you can use acetone, just rinse well when done.

I also saw a thread that said there is a specific stuff you can buy to remove the stencils.
Don't know the name.

Acetone is cheap at all hardware and home stores.

It is also what the women use to clean the paint from their fingers/toes.
I think that has perfume in it though.

Acetone will melt the PVC. I work at a nail salon and aceton eats plastic or anything close to it for breakfest, lunch and dinner.

You are correct.
That's how it removes the tag.
JUst put some on a paper towell a rub the tag off.

Last edited:
Back