calcium reactor maintenance replace orings

CTaylor

Hi,
How often do those of you with a calcium reactor replace the o-rings?
Only when you notice a leak? Once a year? every two years?

THere are o-rings for the chamber lid(s) and then oring in the circulation pump. For the geo reactor, like I have, each chamber has a uniseal. There are also the tubings that go from chamber to chamber, from tank to reactor, back to tank.

*Do you replace all these at one time on a certain schedule before leak?
I ask this b/c it's been 2 1/2 years. I havent replaced anything. Though just after the 2 year mark I realized air was getting into the reactor. So I did a clean out of both chambers. Keeping the media, just rinsing it.. cleaning the chambers. I realized then I had a leak from a uniseal. And also a leak in the oring of the **circulation pump** which is a Sicce 1.5.

*Are leaks via the circ pump common? And do you normally replace those once a year as well?

*Do you clean out your reactor once a year?

**Basically what is good sounding maintenance for a ca reactor? Esp replacing orings. I already figured I need to clean it out at least once every 2 years, if not yearly.

BTW I love the GEO dual chamber.. solid, dependable, easy, and it looks good overall if anyone is thinking of getting one. And they (he?) responds to questions quickly -- great support.

I've had a GEO single chamber for 15 years, never had to replace the O ring. I do lube it with Vaseline when I open it up to replace the ARM, which is the only time it gets cleaned. Not that it leaks but it's in the sump so not a big deal if it did. I'm on my second pump, they seem to last forever and don't get calcium buildup.

Never on any of my Geo’s. If the o-rings are quality ones, you can usually restore them to like new condition by placing them in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. Some silicone grease on the o-rings before putting the lid on is never a bad idea. And not over tightening the reactor lid will go a long way in preventing the rings from flattening.

I never have leaks anywhere on my reactors.

As for cleaning them out, I rinse the reactor out when I add media every several months.

"I've had a GEO single chamber for 15 years, never had to replace the O ring. I do lube it with Vaseline when I open it up to replace the ARM, which is the only time it gets cleaned. Not that it leaks but it's in the sump so not a big deal if it did. I'm on my second pump, they seem to last forever and don't get calcium buildup. "

"Never on any of my Geo’s. If the o-rings are quality ones, you can usually restore them to like new condition by placing them in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. Some silicone grease on the o-rings before putting the lid on is never a bad idea. And not over tightening the reactor lid will go a long way in preventing the rings from flattening.

I never have leaks anywhere on my reactors.

As for cleaning them out, I rinse the reactor out when I add media every several months. "

I've had two leaks at one time. One through the uniseal. And one through the Sicce cir pump. The one through the uniseal i'm pretty sure is because I would sometimes rotate the pipe through to get the tube on it to fit onto the circulation pump. That must have cause wear in the uniseal, as it wasnt as tight as the other one in my second chamber, the pipe through which I never rotated at all.

*So it sounds like it's very rare to have a leak through an oring that is also never touched like the Sicce one over the impeller housing(?).

I wish I had a huge sump to put the reactor in!. That would reduce the urgency of action when I have a leak. I do have the reactor in an approx 10 gallon rubbermaid type tray to catch leaks like this last one. It's also on my patio in case even that overflows. THis last dual leak caused very little water in the tray until I saw it.

I think geo is sending me new rings. I'll put some silicone grease on them. I already replaced both uniseals. Now at least I know if I care for them they should last. I wont move the pipe through either uniseal again!

*I'm hoping this also cures my buildup of air in the reactor. I'm sure it will as it started about 2 months before I realized I had a leak. Perhaps the air was going into the weakness in the uniseal via vernturi effect and when pressure got high enough the water leaked out instead of air going in.

*Cleaning it, even rinsing with water is a PIA lol. Emptying the media takes a fair amount of time. It was the cleaning was when I saw the leaks. I also rinsed the media in both chambers. ARM in chamber 2 especially had a lot of sediment, gravel turned to powder/sand. Chamber one has 2 little fishes media. I'm realizing now that new media goes on bottom ideally. Since it flows up (duh).

TY!

Back