Calling all wrasse experts

nathan1986

Looking to get a wrasse. Preferably one that doesnt get too large and isnt aggressive. It will only be housed with a pair of clown fish. I was thinking about the blue star leopard wrasse (female) but after reading about wrasses in general most people dont see them after they put them in the tank. Either they hide in the sand/rocks or just flat out vanish. Basically what should i look for when buying one, do they readily eat frozen, flanpke and or pellets, or should i ask to see it eat before i buy one. Ive never had a wrasse and i generally dont buy anything before i research it first. Hopeing there are a few wrasse fanatics on here lol thanks guys/gals

Looking to get a wrasse. Preferably one that doesnt get too large and isnt aggressive. It will only be housed with a pair of clown fish. I was thinking about the blue star leopard wrasse (female) but after reading about wrasses in general most people dont see them after they put them in the tank. Either they hide in the sand/rocks or just flat out vanish. Basically what should i look for when buying one, do they readily eat frozen, flanpke and or pellets, or should i ask to see it eat before i buy one. Ive never had a wrasse and i generally dont buy anything before i research it first. Hopeing there are a few wrasse fanatics on here lol thanks guys/gals
I would pm cichlidman he's very knowledgeable with wrasses

I have had good luck with Hawaiian Flame's. However they love to jump.

So make sure your tank top in general and over flow's are supported.

I have had a Labout's for about two years now - very hardy.

My only regret is buying a mystery (not a fairy, but worth mentioning) - not because it is aggressive - just likes to pick on snails, hermits and smaller ornamental shrimp.

Hoeven's Wrasse will help eat unwanted pests such as flat worms.

I have purchased two Lineateus - one got sick and died in 7 days. The other disappeared after 3 days.

My Ruby I had for 3 years recently died. Just got old I guess - it was pretty big. The Ruby was the most aggressive.

I owned some other more affordable wrasses - they have been ok.

If personally - buy the fish you love and enjoy it - no telling how long they will live.

Hopefully as long as you are interested in the hobby.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with Hawaiian Flame's. However they love to jump.

So make sure your tank top in general and over flow's are supported.

I have had a Labout's for about two years now - very hardy.

My only regret is buying a mystery (not a fairy, but worth mentioning) - not because it is aggressive - just likes to pick on snails, hermits and smaller ornamental shrimp.

Hoeven's Wrasse will help eat unwanted pests such as flat worms.

I have purchased two Lineateus - one got sick and died in 7 days. The other disappeared after 3 days.

My Ruby I had for 3 years recently died. Just got old I guess - it was pretty big. The Ruby was the most aggressive.

For how much they are - ehhh I am over it.
I looked up the hoevens wrasse, those look nice. Only reason i like the blue star leopard is because of how nice the femal one looks.
Solar wrasse is what I would do. Swims around all the time. Doesn't need sand either
Ill look into the solar wrasse as well. Thanks roger

I would love to give away some of my fish but my other half is too attached to them.

Less fish = less bio load = less maintenance.

Good luck with your search. There are a ton of wrasses to choose from!

I have 2 lubbock. 2 red head solon ,1-banana , 1 exquisite ( figi ) , 1 -Mcosker flasher. 1 leopard ( meleagris) , 1- whip fin, 1- pink margin. I've had them all about 1 yr now. They eat pellets, flake, nori and brine.
I found the more I had, the more all of them came out morcontent://media/external/file/23166e.

Last edited:
Solar wrasse is what I would do. Swims around all the time. Doesn't need sand either

+1

A solar wrasse is a great peaceful tankmate.
You can also go withvan orange back wrasse like in my avatar, but they are a little harder to find.

I looked at the solar wrasse, im not to keen on their pattern/colors. Granted they swim around alot and dont hide in the sand. There are a few i like, and it says they will pick on small inverts which is fine because i only have 1 turbo snail and 2 emerald crabs in the tank. I turkey baste the rocks every morning and change out filter pads every morning. I never really needed a clean up crew in that tank. Its the "whered that expensive fish go" thing that worries me. But the more i read and from what people say, once they get used to the lighting schedule they will be out more often.

I spoke to a few people. One had a suggestion of a cryptic wrasse/pink lined wrasse. I think im gonna go with that wrasse. Its both colorful, stays small and doesnt seem to have a temper like some of the others i was looking at

Your best bet is a fairy or flasher wrasse...you can check info on them on Live Aquaria site, to see what you like and which fits your budget. They do not sleep in the sand and will eat most foods and swim around the entire tank

I got a leopard wrasse from Faois about 8 months ago that is out all the time. Took him about a week to adjust his schedule. At first I would only see him at 2 AM but now he comes out around 7 AM and stays out until 10 PM and eats everything I put in the tank including flake. You just need to make sure to get a healthy one that is eating in the store.

I have what I believe is a Ruby Head or Red Eyed Wrasse. He/she is a really good tank mate for all my fish. Great Color and is usually visible in the tank. Probably 3-4 inches. What ever you do, don't get a six line. Meanest fish I have ever had!!!

mike

I have what I believe is a Ruby Head or Red Eyed Wrasse. He/she is a really good tank mate for all my fish. Great Color and is usually visible in the tank. Probably 3-4 inches. What ever you do, don't get a six line. Meanest fish I have ever had!!!

mike
Ive read those are good tank mates. And yes i know to avoid all the "lined" wrasses especially the 6 line lol
I got a leopard wrasse from Faois about 8 months ago that is out all the time. Took him about a week to adjust his schedule. At first I would only see him at 2 AM but now he comes out around 7 AM and stays out until 10 PM and eats everything I put in the tank including flake. You just need to make sure to get a healthy one that is eating in the store.
The leopard wrasse was my first choice becuse they have a good success rate at eating planaria and they look awesome. However i fear it will grow fast and the main tank i want to put one in is 29g. I have a 55g and a 120g that i could transfer it to but id rather keep one in the 29g and i thing the leopard would get too big for that.
Your best bet is a fairy or flasher wrasse...you can check info on them on Live Aquaria site, to see what you like and which fits your budget. They do not sleep in the sand and will eat most foods and swim around the entire tank
Flashers look neat but id also like to benefit from the wrasses planaria eating habits. From what i read flashers do not eat pests like other wrasses do.

To touch on Leopard wrasses in general they should be a cheap wrasse but the survival rate from a store picking them up to getting them passed the cash register is pretty poor so stores have to really jack the price up to not lose their butts.
Leopard wrasses are poor shippers and poor acclimators. The reason people don't see them is they generally die. If you get one acclimated they are great inhabitants. If they stay alive and are still not out swimming about they are likely sick or being picked on.
I had one that ate once or twice and disappeared. I said forget it and bought a 6 line. I was watching the tank over a month from the last time I saw the leaopard and all of a sudden it popped out of the sand and about 3 seconds later the 6 line nailed it and the leopard shot right back into the sand. Never to be seen again.
Growth always depends on how much you feed or what food is available in the rocks. My fish generally grow slow because I try not to feed too much. Some of my friends fish grow crazy fast.
Leopards can normally be trained to eat just about anything. I generally find mysis work well in the beginning.

From what ive read on the leopards, out of all the wrasses these ones dont ship to well. I guess from the collection, to the wholesaler to the lfs really puts a toll on them. And im pretty sure they pick on the smaller parts of the cuc. I think mature size is 5-6 inches. I really like the leopard wrasses, as it was my first choice but i dont want to lose my shrimp and other parts of my cuc

Bought him from an LFS in NY, had him for about a year before tearing my tank down prior to moving to FLA. Great fish, never bothered any of my inverts or shrimp.

Back