Can A Blacklight Stimulate Growth?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyp
Premium Member
I had an idea of retrofitting a 24" blacklight to my reef tank to go along with my moonlights and to give it a cool apperance.

Is this good for coral growth or will it harm them?

asked and answered hundreds of times, why not search before you multipost the question at least three times that i saw.
kc

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9842492#post9842492 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragon_slayer
asked and answered hundreds of times, why not search before you multipost the question at least three times that i saw.
kc

or you could just help me out and answer my question!

you'll find nobody wants to help those who can't help themselves, especially when they multi post the question in every forum.

good luck
kc

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9846366#post9846366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragon_slayer
you'll find nobody wants to help those who can't help themselves, especially when they multi post the question in every forum.

good luck
kc

well the reason why i post in every forum is because thats the only way someone will answer, id rather get instant results than waiting a whole week for an answer.

I didnt know it offended anyone, i guess some people have to much time on there hands to go through every topic forum on here and get mad at repeat threads!!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9842492#post9842492 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragon_slayer
kc

WOW! Somebody got beat up a lot as a child lol.
Nice attitude. Not everybody has a decent search function. Either answer the question or keep quiet. You make us all look bad to the newer members of this board. You are not a mod (thank God).

Sorry H2O

Agreed that the search function doesnt work for non paying members.

Although to answer your question, I wouldn't do it. The black light will make your corals luminesce but BL puts out a large amount of UV radiation that I am sure would not be very beneficial to your corals.

There is a lot of info I learn on this site just by browsing the forums.I would like to know the answer to this question but I would not have use the search to find it.So who cares if someone asks a question that has been answered before

I agree too, that was just ridiculous! Maybe he just got done slaying some dragons on his D&D aniversery edition and hes still all pumped up! :lol:

I do think it's wrong to post three times on the same subject in different forums. You're not getting an answer because this is an old drawn out subject that no one really even cares to answer.

This I want answers RIGHT NOW or I'm gonna make three different threads, is very childish and selfish, not to mention a waste of bandwidth. This crap might work with your mommy. Don't you know this hobby takes patience? So what if it takes a week to get an answer. You should just be thankful that someone is willing and will help you at all.

So what about some Mercury vapor lamps?
How about some incadescent bulbs? lol
Damn there would be alot of stupid threads!!!!!!!!!

Here's an idea for the original poster. Set it up and try it out and than come let us all know what you think your results are.

If you want a better search function, DONATE/SUBSCRIBE. Paying $20 to have basically all the info you'd ever need on keeping your tank doesn't seem that bad at all IMO. I've easily gotten $20 of info off here without having the search function. If you can't afford to subscribe and search maybe you should find a different hobby.

My $0.02

Kelly, you and "The Dragon Slayer" really need to learn patience. When dealing with a huge group of people like the members of Reef Central, newer people on here like yourself need guidence and information. How they get it and the manor in which they ask is really of no concern to you.

Be friendly or shaddup ;)

Peace out :)

Jeff

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9854757#post9854757 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7
Kelly, you and "The Dragon Slayer" really need to learn patience.

:rolleyes: LOL. Patience would be making one thread, and waiting for an answer. Did you even really read this thread?

When dealing with a huge group of people like the members of Reef Central, newer people on here like yourself need guidence and information. How they get it and the manor in which they ask is really of no concern to you.

Reread what I had written. I've been able to find all the info I need without making another ridiculous thread, such as this one.

Be friendly or shaddup ;)

Peace out :)

Jeff

Shaddup? Not likely Jeff, you have your opinion obviously and feel free to voice it, why do you get your panties all in a bunch when I express mine?

I was just sticking up for H2oH2o. He didnt deserve to be slammed like that by you guys.

Crazyface.gif

Well as far as I know he posted 4 different threads.

And in every single one he got some different answers.

I commend him for sticking his nose out there and asking questions.

Last edited:
Asking questions IS what this forum is for..........and I though it was a good question. Very interesting. Maybe, if you see a post that has been asked and answered a thousand times before (dragon_slayer), just sigh and not click on it. Nobody made him view this thread. Geez.

But seriously, good point with the UV output, it would probably end up damaging certain inverts. I agree with that possibility, but I don't know for sure.

If i left it on for say like 10 minutes mearly for visual effects, do you think thats enough to do damage?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9855463#post9855463 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7
I was just sticking up for H2oH2o. He didnt deserve to be slammed like that by you guys.

Crazyface.gif

Also Thanx Man!!!!

10 minutes is probably not long enough to do damage. Although actinic lighting gives a similar effect. Not as dramatic as the black light but still it floreces the greens and such.

Back