Can Aiptasia thrive in low light / darkness?

There are some systems built around using aptasia as filtration. I hear about them most commonly being used in large overflows to catch uneaten food to prevent it from breaking down else where in the system.

I had a nano cube that I had taken down.. I left some sand and a few inches of water in it. After sitting in the garage for a month, the aiptasia in it were still alive. With concentration from evaporation and zero flow or light and everything. Yet I've had some coral die by just looking at it wrong.

There are some systems built around using aptasia as filtration. I hear about them most commonly being used in large overflows to catch uneaten food to prevent it from breaking down else where in the system.

Why would that be useful?

IMO, there's no reason to think that aiptasia are any more efficient at retaining the nitrogen and phosphorus they consume in foods than any other creature that consumed it anywhere else in the system (including bacteria eating it as it sits on the bottom somewhere).

People seem to think that eaten foods are not a source of nutrients, but that is far from the truth. Most of the nitrogen and phosphate consumed in foods ends up being released, whether it is from food your fish, or you, or bacteria consume. :)

Aptasia

Aptasia

You seem to like natural solutions so why not use peppermint shrimp or a copper band butterfly... Go to rocking reef they have a ton of big peppermint shrimp now...

Back