Can any network IT people help me PLEASE?

Fliger

I got this "Lighthouse" controller and I have successfully created an IP address. I just looked in my mac and found it, then changed the last digits. It successfully comes up on MY mac, but I can't access the info outside of my home. In the instructions it says I might need to create a "pinhole" or "open a port". Then something about a firewall.

I have an Airport Express which is connected to the cable modem. The Imac is wireless. The Lighthouse is plugged into the ethernet port on my computer. This was the only way to do it without buying another Airport Express ($130).

Sorry to sound like an idiot. I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to networking.

Thanks much. I don't mind paying someone.

David

Also I posted in the Premium Aquatics forum with a little more detail. I'm not expecting much help since there aren't a lot of Lighthouse units here on RC.

-----

Need help with hooking up a Lighthouse to a IMAC

Has anyone hooked one of these things up on a Mac and figured out how to monitor it outside the home? I went thru the instructions and successfully found an IP address that I was able to assign to the Lighthouse. I can use that IP address on my home computer, but can't figure out how to access it outside of my home. I'm not good at ALL with networking but I'm guessing this is probably just a few dozen keystrokes and I'd hate paying someone $100+ to come out and do that for me.

I tried support at Lighthouse and they are unable to help me.

My setup is - I have an Imac which is wirelessly connected to Airport Express. The Lighthouse ethernet cable goes from the controller to the back of my compter's ethernet. I found an IP address under: Apps/Utilities/Network Utility/Info/Ethernet Interface (en0) and per the Lighthouse directions I changed the 4th set of numbers. Then I set the Lighthouse IP address to that. Now my IMAC pulls up the webpage (which is AWESOME) but I can't access it outside the home.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

David

Your controller has a private IP address, probably something like 192.168.1.x or 172.16.1.x. You can't see that IP from outside because it's non-routable, meaning your cable modem is acting as the NAT (Network Address Translation) translating the private IPs on your network into one public IP assigned to your cable modem by your ISP. Corporate edge firewalls can map incoming outside traffic to a private address on your network, but your basic cable modem does not. The IP on your cable modem can change often since it comes from your ISP making it impossible to know how to consistently reach it from outside.

You can get to your controller from the outside world if both of the following are true:

1) Your cable modem can map ports and IPs
2) You pay your ISP extra per month for a static IP.

Mike

Okie Dokie, I just had a 30 minute conversation with Dave B and he said my best bet to 1) make it easy and 2) provide future expansion of tank/home automation - would be to contact Cox and get a Static IP.

Would you agree?

Do you have a router like a Linksys WRT54G?

I would go with one of those and use a service like dyndns.

I also have a spare Linksys BEFSX41 that you could test with.

A static IP is a must. After that, you'll need a cable modem that can map IPs and ports to a device on your network. (to the controller)

For example, after you get a static IP from Cox, you'll always know what address your cable modem is. However, unless your cable modem maps incoming port 80 requests to the IP of your controller, your modem will say "I don't accept incoming web requests" and it will end there.

HTH
Mike

Actually, it doesn't matter what router you have behind your modem. If your modem doesn't pass incoming web requests, they won't even make it to the router.

They do make cable modems with built in router/firewall. I don't have an example of one, but that's what you would need.

lhoo is correct... MSM, no offense but your infor is a bit of misinfo.

Static IP is not necessary, at all...

If you have a firewall/router (DLink, Linksys, Belkin, etc) check it and see if it supports Dynamic DNS services. If you do not have one, get one. $50 and you are done.

I use No-IP (free) and there are several other free services. They will even provide a free & small memory resident PC/MAC client if your router does not support it (most newer ones do).

Don't bother paying extra for a static IP, total waste of money for anyone not running a business that relies on the IP.

Also, about cable modems... these are not firewalls and will not block any traffic. They allow unrestricted traffic and simply connect your LAN to the outside world.

Passing (or not passing) traffic is a function of the firewall/router you have on the LAN side (your home) of the cable modem.

Dave, if you want to chat about it give me a ring.

Aaron is correct. I have VPN tunnels created between my router a(behind my cable modem) and several other places as well as being able to connect to SQL Server and RDC on my PC due to forwarded inbound ports. There is unrestricted traffic coming in and out of the cable modem. Also, my dynamic IP address changes about once a year so it is not a problem at all.

I'm with Aaron, nothing wrong with dynamic DNS. There are lots of free solutions, I use dyndns.org. The last time I checked, to get a static IP from Cox requires a commercial account, which isn't even offered at every residential location. Also their static commercial IPs aren't all that static. They've changed ours 3 times in the last 2 years, once without warning. I've had better uptime with dynamic DNS.

Just send me a PM or call me if you want my help.

I currently have 3 separate home LAN computers and 5 separate home "services" I can connect to from an external location... two are web servers, remote desktop, a remote java session, and more.

I guess it's been a while since I've run a web server from home. It was the late 90's and I had dial-up with a static IP and a multi-homed PC running router and firewall software.
That's what happens when you only do this stuff at work for too long!
Good information to know. I looked at No-IP and dyndns. Now I'll have to set up something so I can "catch up"...
Mike

Thanks everyone. This really is just the first step I want to take to get -

1) Tank online w/remote control - and alarms/sms/phone dialer
2) All music stored in one area yet sharable throughout the house, possibly even video
3) Wireless high speed network to 3 computers
4) (dream?) - Lights, eltectronics and possibly even home alarm system automated with touch pads and remotely controllable

I do own my own business and I'm starting a second one this year that will need a website, so I know I'll be spending some money. Now I'm unsure if I just need to hire an IT consultant that might be able to help me set all that up.

Does anyone know where I might be able to hire someone to help me with that stuff, thats reasonable in cost?

David,
this stuff is way simple. If you can follow a set of instructions, there is no reason to hire a consultant. If you feel like you do need to hire someone, then just ask someone here and offer them a nice frag or two and/or offer any 17 year old with a bittorent client 30 bucks and you're all set.

Four goals 1-3 above, a $50 linksys (or other brand) router will enable all of the above with serious ease. For video I would typically suggest a wired connection (the same router will support that too) since often the video won't do well wirelessly. It *can* work, depends on what you use to play it. An xbox modded with a xbox media center is most excellent.

By the way, I have 1-3 done in my house right now with a cheap o wireless modem and a regular cox cable connection. Nothing to it. (I use my ACII to control the tank. In the past with this same set up, I have had x-10 cameras hooked up as well, allowing me to remotely view my tank, and switch to one of three camera angles (front or either side) using the ACII it's really a piece of cake to do this stuff...

I'm going to ramble about the IP address thing for a minute.
COX will selll you a static IP, but you don't need one. You could also get a dynamic address service like some others have mentioned but you *probably* don't need that either.

An IP address is the unique number assigned to your computer on the internet. In your case, it will actually be assigned to your modem, then all requests at your modem will be forwarded to your router/firewall/hub which will distribute your connections (because you will have port forwarding enabled to send those requests to the proper PC on your lan, but that's another story)...

When you go to reefcentral.com you are actually going to:198.92.103.99, it's just that there are computers all over the world that translate the name reefcentral.com to that number...

When you make your connection to cox, you get an IP address assigned to you. Your PC is a given a lease of the address. I think cox gives you a 24 hour lease. It gets renewed over and over again and you more often then not have the same address for months on end. If you have a power outage, go on vacation, or otherwise turn off your modem and/or router for a long period of time is the only reason that you would ever get an IP address change.

What the services like dyndns and tzo et all do is give you the ability to access your home PC on a dynamic IP with a domain name instead of by IP address.

Since the only person that you want to access this stuff is yourself anyway, you really don't need a "name" to access it by. If you are nervous about the IP address changing or simply want it to be cooler then a set of numbers, go ahead and splurge the 10 bucks or whatever it is for a dynamic DNS service

for number 4, you want to start chatting it up with the home automation guys. There are forums just like RC about home automation, but now you are starting to get out of anything I have done. It can be a fairly serious thing to get it working well, from what I understand.

Now, as far as websites go... You can get website hosting for next to nothing these days. Depending on your needs, A site can be fairly cheap, to thousands and thousands of dollars.

When you are getting ready to get a site online for your new biz give me a holler and I can chat with you about your various options.

Oh, and whatever you do... don't hire someone from a big computer store or something, they will way over charge you.
-dm

David,
I can easily help you out with everything...
I do computer systems and apps for a living for Fortune 100 companies
Home Automation and Home Theater is my hobby (more expensive then reefing... arg!) & I have friends that are in the security systems install biz.
For a long time I had several wireless touchpads (I'm changing my system... problem with this being a hobby!)
+ my home is voice controlled. There is some very cool stuff you can do and very inexpensively that easily compare to the 'high-end' systems that cost $25K+

I can hook you up... wholesale!

I couldn't agreen more with dmorel. The home automation stuff is a bit tricky. Wireless is a pain sometime, but once its working and secured, it isn't bad at all. The web site thing. Yeah can be real cheap or real pricey.
Depending on what you are doing with the site, could be best to host it elsewhere and not at home. Also, if you are somewhat savy or artistic, you could do some of the web work youself, it isn't overly difficult.
I can talk to you about it more when we hook up next time. Let me know, I'll bring enough beer to stay a while. ;-)

Rich

I wanted to thank everyone again. In talking with a Mac friend, then calling Mac support, it looks like the Airport Express actually IS a router. There is port mapping capabilities in the utilities. Now I need to figure out what port its using, and a few other things - and I should be able to access this. They said the one thing that will be a PITA is that the IP address to my computer will change, and I'll have to change things along with that.

I still don't quite get everything, but in reading all this and talking with Mac, I might be able to figure it out.

Sheesh. Everyone's an expert when it comes to the internet.

Routing and security is what I do all day, every day. I'll PM you my contact info, and will be happy to come by and make it all work. I want to see how the controller works myself. You have everything you need already, so don't buy or order any more services.

Back