Strange Orange Dots. Please help

xLennie

Hey Guys,

Hope you are well.

It's Lennie. I am an experienced hobbyist in freshwater fishkeeping with 24 tanks and 15yr+ experience. One month ago, I wanted to setup myself a saltwater tank for the first time.

To cycle my tank, I used raw shrimp from the supermarket (not shelled, just directly a shrimp as it is), put it into a purigen bag, and kept it in the tank around 2 days until it leeched enough ammonia to start the cycle based on my test results. When I bought the shrimp, I didnt have my tank running so I froze it for a couple days while the tank was ready. I used dry rocks, the shell my family gifted me from their trip to Thailand, "live sand" which is basically a sand that has buffering capacity and some sea water in it. It is a shallow nano tank. I used AF Bio S to cycle the tank.

Anyway, as the cycle is complete, I wanted to do a a big water change before introducing my first fish. While doing the water change, I noticed orange dots around the shell. They are a bit slimey, comes off very easily when I wipe with paper towel. Before using the shell, I used %3 hydrogen peroxide to clean it, mainly the inside, and then washed it all over.

I am confused on what these orange dots are. I did not introduce anything actually alive to the tank. Some people mentioned flatworms. I don't have saltwater experience yet, but I am familiar with some flatworms from freshwater hobby. These don't feel like any sort of flatworms, at least to me. I have not noticed any movements either.

Any ideas?

Would love to hear from you guys. Please do that these spots are no where in the tank other than the shell itself. All the glasses, sand and dry rocks are perfectly clear. I checked in detail, but haven't seen a single spot.

Pics under tank lights ( a bit like neon orange) and under daylight:

c8db43b2-f95b-47e0-89ac-c5c0beca1b76 (1).jpeg
0b5aef00-2cdd-4430-8c52-1b2349e8757e (1).jpeg
c402597c-9cc3-4ed7-b07b-492e9f05cb89.jpeg
03d89637-ae2d-4fbe-b2fc-b267dc20991c.jpeg
7522d73a-2641-490f-83c6-2dcf8edc97db.jpeg

eac42804-d141-4904-8c6b-121a8bab2bdc.jpeg

Can you scratch it off. Looks like flatworms.
I tried to wipe it off with a towel paper. Came out directly. Didnt really need to apply much pressure. It has a bit of slimey texture

Do they move?
This was my first question as well.
I have not observed any movement myself, no. When I took the shell out of the tank, they also remained wherever they are. They dont look alive to me. I am confused

Normally I could easily observe movement and action from freshwater flatworms/palanaria.

Can you scratch it off. Looks like flatworms.
Can they potentially go on a supermarket shrimp, and survive being frozen, and end up being introduced to my tank? I believe that would be the only potential route they can be introduced to the tank right? I have not added anything else besides dry rocks and stuff

Do you also think they are flatworms? 😭
I’m on the fence. Can you get one more pic VERY up close and clear/focused?

If they are, the good news is, it’s early in your setup and Flatworm Exit has a good track record getting rid of them.

I would wash in Freshwater & leave it in a container of fresh water for a day or 2 & then put it back.
Saltwater bacteria can't live in freshwater & vice -versa.
I can do that first thing in the morning👍🏻 thank you

I’m on the fence. Can you get one more pic VERY up close and clear/focused?

If they are, the good news is, it’s early in your setup and Flatworm Exit has a good track record getting rid of them.
I have to check if any is left over. I basically wiped them off the shell after takin the picture easily with a piece of paper towel. they were all gone. Somehow, whatever they are, were all located on the shell only. I probably couldnt clean all the spots as I didnt pay huge attention to keep it perfectly clean. I will try to take one more pic tomorrow morning, fishroom is fully dark right now, all lights are off

Also thank you everyone for jumping in super fast. My LFS recommended me to join this forum before. I wish I joined much earlier!

Flatworm Exit is completely safe for fish, so you’re good. But, try Vinny’s freshwater suggestion first.

I’m not thinking they’re flatworms. I’m thinking it was something on/in the shell that’s now growing.
That’s the way I’m leaning too Shane that’s why is asked for more pics.
To be fair, that is also what I am thinking. No saltwater hobby experience here, but considering them appearing only on the shell and not moving/showing any sign of life.

If that’s so, I am also curious about what it is :D if I had a spare light, I would grow it in a qt tank

Back