Can anyone tell me what coral this is?

Ladybuglane

My daughter bought this yesterday for her tank, in the shop it glowed and look like it had flowers on it. When she got home it looked like this. We are not sure if it is dead or it just looks like this. I have been looking it up but can't fine it. So please can anyone tell me what it is and if it's ok

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1
It looks like GSP (green star polyps) they grow in a mat. It normally is purple but it could be algae or lights distorting the moral color in the photo. They are hearty and well in most tanks. It looks sucked in right now but it will come out after a couple days, when it settles in some.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry but that looks nothing like a GSP. GSP when closed up are purple nodules on a mat. You can Google Green Star Polyps and see many pictures of them in all stages of open/closed.

It more closely resembles Green Nepthea or Green Sinularia. I'm not sure of which and won't be until the polyps come out. Do try and get a picture when that happens.

In either case they like lighting on the strong side as well as good strong flow. As with all leather corals they can and will shed their outer skin which might be happening to yours.This happens when they're stressed as well. Leather Corals can get po'd for any number of reasons LOL but they are very hardy corals. Give it time to acclimate to your tank and it should open up within a few days.

I want to say Snake polyps, but I'm not sure if that's correct or not. Whatever that is though, it's definitely not happy at the moment.

LOL funny that My green sinularia was in a funk yesterday and it looked just like your picture. I'm pretty positive it's one or the other. Nepthea or Sinularia.

It might be one or the other, but where's the base at? In other words, where does it start at and where does it end at? I don't recall ever seeing either one of those corals spread out across the rocks like that. Time will tell I guess.

I thought the same thing about the base, have no clue and I am looking forward to it finally opening up. I think it's going to be a really cool looking coral.

Back