Can I cycle rocks with tap water?

ask499

I have a new rock scape I want to use in my tank. Can I cycle these rocks in a bin with tap water and then place them in my tank or does it have to be RODI water?

Sure, but whether you should really depends upon the quality of your tap water. Some tap water contaminants (like copper and phosphate) could leach into your rock and later have a negative effect on your tank. Oh, and I'm assuming you mean to use tap water to mix with salt to create saltwater - I would never try cycling rock with straight tap water! :lol:

Kevin

Sure, but whether you should really depends upon the quality of your tap water. Some tap water contaminants (like copper and phosphate) could leach into your rock and later have a negative effect on your tank. Oh, and I'm assuming you mean to use tap water to mix with salt to create saltwater - I would never try cycling rock with straight tap water! :lol:

Kevin

Haha. of course im using salt. upon my research I will just use water straight from my tank. I am do for a water change. so ill pump the waste water into the bin.

thanks for the feedback. happy reefing

Back