Can I get some advice on lighting?

Which technology should I use for my 2 foot cube??????

• Total voters
I’m trying to figure out lighting for a 60 gallon cube. My eventual goal is a mixed reef or maybe in the future SPS.
I’m currently looking at a halide T5 system or an LED T5 system or an LED metal halide system or just LEDs.Maybe a combination of all three technologies.

Honestly, any will work. It ultimately falls what look you want.

Many of us here run metal halide still. Others run led.

From a personal perspective, I run 250w 10k halides with LED 450/470nm light bars on my main tank.

On my wife’s tank I run a SmatFarm LED set up. It works just as well but being a cheaper fixture, it lacks in spectrum in my opinion.

Metal halide gear is harder to come by nowadays and T5 is becoming harder as well.

With that said, you can’t really go wrong any type. If you go with LED, the biggest “difference” is going to be needing to take par measurements so corals can be placed appropriately. You don’t generally have to do this with Halide or T5.

Many people also run LED/T5 for proper coverage and less shadowing as LED can cause a bit more shadowing issues. But you’ll get shadowing with any light source once coral grows in.

My vote is for Metal Halide/LED. I’ve just had the best results with it. The LED blue bars just give more of a punch than T5 actinics did.

As for LED, that mainly depends on budget. Many of the LED reef lights will be sufficient for what you want. All are tried and true

At the top price end: Radion, AI Hydra, etc.

Mid Range Price: Reefi Uno 2.0

Low End Price: Viparspectra, SmatFarm, NiCrew, Noopsyche or similar would work.

In the end it boils down to price, features, warranty and related support (or lack thereof), and ultimately coverage. In the low price point I didn’t specify models (some models will have better coverage, features, etc than others).

For example, the Viparspectra is 2 channel control and does not have an app last I knew. SmatFarm is 6 channel control but no app and as I have one of the G5 models, quite frankly the spectrum leaves a bit to be desired to really get that color “pop,” but it grows coral and anemones just fine. NiCrew, I personally wouldn’t buy another NiCrew product unless significant advancements have been made but that’s just my personal experience with the lack of control in the one light I’ve purchased. Reefi Uno has a great reputation but the app and UI can be a bit dated looking. Noopsyche has a pretty good reputation but their customer service is lacking at best.

Giesemann Spectra SE Metal Halide/T5 Fixture (Iridium)
Neither are made anymore but I have seen them used for sale.
One of my LFS has a single Radion XR30 G6 Pro LED Light Fixture and the tank looks great

What are you looking to spend?

Personally I likeT-5 for mixed reefs. There just easy and work.

Halides are my favorite but sometimes they are just not practical for some. Choices are getting slimmer in this hobby for them.

Most use leds now but leds fixtures can be pretty complicated for someone newer in the hobby. I like the Kessil fixtures for someone newer to the hobby just for ease of use..

What are the dimensions of the 60 cube?

just like @Reefing102 said. They all work just depends on what you prefer.

Last edited:
Giesemann Spectra SE Metal Halide/T5 Fixture (Iridium)
Neither are made anymore but I have seen them used for sale.
One of my LFS has a single Radion XR30 G6 Pro LED Light Fixture and the tank looks great
The spectra is still made but it has to be ordered directly from Geisemann.

24“ x 24“ i’m considering switching to a 60 gallon breeder which is 48” 18” 18”.
Two halides would cover that no issue as well. Ultimately it’s up to the budget you have, the “look” of the tank (I.e. whiter vs bluer), and the overall aesthetic appeal of the fixture (no problem if you have the lights mounted in a hood or similar).

If you’re talking about Texas Holey Rock, to my knowledge, it’s essentially Marco rock, which should be perfectly fine. I can’t think of any downsides other than possible density issues.

Back