Can I modify this 125 gallon stand?

saiyan7702

Hey everyone I'm new to the hobby and I picked up this tank setup for freshwater and I would like to build a 30g sump under it.That should be big enough right? but it wont fit due to the poorly designed stand. The tank is already filled and on top of it. I was thinking of knocking out center walls and squeezing legs in there so I would have a gap between them to slider a tank through. Any help or ideas would be great. thanks everyone.

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquari...rium-ensemble-zid36-28286/cat-36-catid-300065

Your kidding... right?
I would not.
Empty the tank. Take it off the stand. Then mod the stand. IMO

lmao yea its pretty insane to do it while the tank is on there its just that i literlaly just filled the tank...hahaa, fml. There was like no place to buy tanks this big except petsmart and it came with such a shitty stand.

Personally, I would take the tank off that stand and build one that will actually work for your purposes. That stand is almost certainly made from Melamine (particle board) and so, even if it could be modified, won't hold up well long term anyway.

just sucks because if i build a whole new stand thats another like 150 bucks then i gotta figure out where im gonna put the old one. Yes it is particle board, idk why such an expensive setup came with a wal-mart type stand. I had the 75 gallon version of this tank before and it had the perfect stand.

The stand i just build for a 500 gallon tank cost 60 bucks, lumber at Home depot.. And thats with buying a box of screws... I did save 25 bucks as I already had the sheet of 3/4 ply...

I dont think you could spend 150 unless you realy tried...

use a sledgehammer, the old stand will fit in a garbage can in 10 mineuts flat..

lumber list for the stand bellow.

6, 2x4x10' 4.50 each 27.00
3, 4x4x8' 7.50 each 22.50
1 1/2 sheet 3/4 plywood. (already had laying around but would cost 25.00)
1 box 3 1/2" deck screws. 9.00

granted it need to be skinned and make doors but u can get buy with out all that for now... and none of that affects the strength..

If u post the length and with of your tank and what ever height you want the stand at I would be happy to draw you up a sketch of how to build it and could figure out a lumber list for ya. then you can figure out what the cost realy is...

Last edited:
I don't think it's smart unless you know what your doing... I am a framer and build houses for a living. Personally yeah I could do it but instructing you how to do it difficult through the web...
I would spend the money 2x4 are not going to cost you a lot but the plywood is expensive. You can subbstitute osb. And use 2 sheet of 5/8 or 3/4.

I would start by removing the shells and putting supports on the inside, putting California corners in all of the corners. I would screw it of to keep the cabinet from racking or in other terms leaning to one side. After that you will need to place a temporary posts plural under the middle section of the tank but make sure that distribute the weight. Used a chunk of 2x8 attached to the top of a couple 2x4s making several posts to substitute the weight. Nest on rip out the cabinet section. Cut two 2x4s 5 and half inches shorter than your California corners. Then you need to make a beam. 2x6s nailed together every 6 inches two nails with 16 gauge nails. running linear horizontal from right to left, behind the California corner and a the top of the 2x4 posts that you made 5 and a half inches shorter than the California corners.. Nest lag bolt the the two by 4 post to the California corners and the post.. The weight will be transferring down the2x6 beam into the posts. Finally run some rafters ... 2x6s from front beam to back beam every 12 inches securing with lag bolts.. Then you can remove you temporary post that you put in before remove the cabinet section... Finall skin the front section with material of your choice cutting out doors on the fron excetera

Also skinning a stand is important.. Lumber can rack very easily.. In other word you can push it over..

If skinning a wasn't important there would be engineers that call out the nailing pattern on osb on houses and inspectors to shock if the house was sheeted properlly.

Here is a very easy example. Have you ever bought one of those 30 dollAr book shelf from Walmart target or biglots.. The come with that flimsie card board back and they give you a 100 of the tiny piece of crap nails?

Put the self together without using that piece of junk card board. Rack left to right and fall over... And if you actually take the time put all those nails in. It actually stand. Same thing as a house and same thing on a fish tank stand holding 500 pounds

Im also a framer and am familiar with sheer wall. The bottem shelf keeps the legs from racking. when skinned it will be stronger but i would not hesitate to fill the tank as is. This design is all relying on direct compression.

The stand i just build for a 500 gallon tank cost 60 bucks, lumber at Home depot.. And thats with buying a box of screws... I did save 25 bucks as I already had the sheet of 3/4 ply...

I dont think you could spend 150 unless you realy tried...

use a sledgehammer, the old stand will fit in a garbage can in 10 mineuts flat..

lumber list for the stand bellow.

6, 2x4x10' 4.50 each 27.00
3, 4x4x8' 7.50 each 22.50
1 1/2 sheet 3/4 plywood. (already had laying around but would cost 25.00)
1 box 3 1/2" deck screws. 9.00

granted it need to be skinned and make doors but u can get buy with out all that for now... and none of that affects the strength..

If u post the length and with of your tank and what ever height you want the stand at I would be happy to draw you up a sketch of how to build it and could figure out a lumber list for ya. then you can figure out what the cost realy is...

damn thats a nice tank lol. well i dont wanna sledgehammer the old stand its brand new! lol someones out there thats gonna atleast give me 50 bucks for it. Im gonna use the design from the stand in the DIY fish guy Joey from youtube that he built his 220 gallon on.

Just wondering if you plan on removing those castor wheels Cope? I don't think I would trust them to hold the tank when full.....

yea if you wanna draw something up and give me a lumbe rlist that would be cool. I can build im just dont know how to really come up with whats needed

just sucks because if i build a whole new stand thats another like 150 bucks then i gotta figure out where im gonna put the old one. Yes it is particle board, idk why such an expensive setup came with a wal-mart type stand. I had the 75 gallon version of this tank before and it had the perfect stand.

Cheaper than flood damage repair or a hospital bill!
Do not work under a full tank!
$100 is about the average cost of a typical frame w/ a decent 3/4" ply top and I prefer a ply bottom as well, and I also do not advise 4x4 for legs, 2x's doubled up are a much better choice, fasten better, and do not twist like most 4x's will.

Back