can my floors support my 180g?

Your floor is totally fine handling load even w/out double joists.
What people mainly worry about is dead load over long term making framing sag a little, and it takes alot of weight and a fairly long time for that to happen even a little bit.
Steel beam WILL NEVER SAG, you are absolutely bulletproof.

This topic has come up several times at my firm. Unless I missed it somewhere, The size of the joists was never stated, as well as the span of those joists. The joists would most likely carry the weight without adding support, but the floor will definelty have a lot more bounce to it. And like some else mentioned the floor will sag over time.

The 4x6 or 4x8 seems appropriate in this case, but the oldschool rule of thumb for sizing a beam based on the length of the opening does not take into accout some important factors(like the distance to another load bearing point). The steel beam will definetly work but is way overkill in my opinion, and not the most cost effective either. Doubling up the floor joists is another option but probably not the most ecomonical, the new beam and posts would require less material.

I would personly do the beam with the two posts. The placement of the beam is not that critical. I mean the tank does not need to be centered between the wall and the new beam as someone mentioned. Buy adding a new beam you not only help to support the added weight of the tank but you will also shorten the span of the original joist...thus making them stronger as well.

Freestone, did you miss the part where OP stated THEY ALREADY HAVE A STEEL BEAM?
Could probably park an elephant there NP!LOL(surprised that detail was overlooked by an archetect...well, not THAT surprised LOL)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12952355#post12952355 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
Freestone, did you miss the part where OP stated THEY ALREADY HAVE A STEEL BEAM?
Could probably park an elephant there NP!LOL(surprised that detail was overlooked by an archetect...well, not THAT surprised LOL)

OOOHKAYY. I wasn't bashing you or your opinion. I actually said it seemed like the right choice, just that the general rule of thumb is not always correct.

Well the fact that the steel beam is already there makes matters worse. That beam was designed to carry a particular load. We have no way of knowing how much load based on these small sketched, and adding +/- 2500# will cause some deflection in the steel. And yes, steel does sag.

Ultimately the floor will "support the tank"(not come crashing down) with no extra support added. But if the floor sags even 1/2" it could cause drywall to crack or screw/nails to pop. Doors may start to stick. Floors might squeak. Its like having a reef that is surviving vs. one that is thriving.

Well getting back on topic. If you choose to add the new beam, just try to get it placed as close as possibe to the tank without being in your way.

No, just found it amusing that you gave advice w/out reading details(most archetects I work w/ are kinda anal about details.)
The diagrahm does show a short span between wall and beam support for joists.
Unless there is something unusually heavy above(like swimming pool) as a contractor I can't see any issue.
So I stick to my advice, almost certainly no prob w/ joists alone, and definitely NP w/ a steel "I"beam underneath.

(most archetects I work w/ are kinda anal about details)

Funny you should say that...most GC'S I've worked with could care less.

I'm better than most!LOL
Or at least that's what I'm told by those I've worked for, or those that have seen my work.
Even just reading here I pay attention to detail, where people live, what they do, and what's in sig can all affect what advice I give.

Back