Can you Peel back GSPs and glue them onto rock?

Jason31

so i started a project which is detailed here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627533

and i need to know if you can peel off GSPs that are on a plate rock and then superglue the purple mat onto another rock. the plate rock they are on now make it too high for my liking but i dont know if this will kill or hurt the GSP when doing so. or if it'll even stick to the rock w/ superglue.

heres a pic of what i'm doing:

IMG_8847_zpsf53ikjwv.jpg

you can see the plate rock under the GSP which is a cm thick

You can. But it is hard to peel off GSP in one piece.
Take a blade and carefully work your way through the sheet. It will come off in small pieces and you can stick those pieces close to each other on the new rock with cyanoacrylate glue. Once GSP with start growing in new location, it will cover the gaps nicely.
More mature the gsp is the easier it is to peel it off, as it keeps getting thicker.
Usually gsp on the edges gets lost as that part is the newest one and very fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it looks like you have some Xenia to the right of the GSP. you can expect that to eventually spread out of control too.

If you want to culture gsp, put it next to your side glass. It's REAL easy to peel it off glass, cut it in bits and rubberband it to a rock, then set it aside to grow.

Even if you can't get it off in one piece you can always glue a bunch of pieces to a rock if you want. GSP is very hardy and will survive.

Gsp

Gsp

Keep in mind that even though you can peel most of it off of the rock and glue it on another rock, its very hard to get every last bit off. I had a huge colony of GSP that was taking over my tank, and it was constant work battling it. Even though it looks kinda cool in big mats, I grew to think of it as a pest. Same thing with the xenia.

Back