Can you use vinegar after cleaning tank parts?

So I use vodka for carbon dosing my system and the other day I was cleaning a bunch of power heads that had quite a bit of coraline algae on it that it actually turned the vinegar a redish color. I know some people use vinegar to carbon dose their tanks. In my haste I spilled about 7 cups of the stuff in my tank. I thought maybe do a water change but I left it alone instead as it was pretty late at night. the next morning i got up and everything was just fine. Got me thinking instead of dumping the stuff could I just recycle and dose the tank with it? of course I would have to back off the vodka dose a bit. I dont want to do this because vinegar is expensive... its not! Just thought its wasteful and if it can be used than why not?

Anyone know if melted coraline and vinegar dosing could harm the tank?

The used vinegar would have some calcium in it, and some organics from the coralline. Other than the possible issue with those two components, it should be okay.

thanks guys that answers my question.

last question... I noticed some fish eating the coraline off the power heads after it was dipped in vinager. could this hurt the fish?

Back