Canadian customers willing to purchase fish from USA

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
RC Sponsor
So everything is setup pretty much on my end. Few requirements are being met. but i wanted to float the idea to see if clients are even willing to pay this amount.
In order for me to ship fish into Canada, there are fees duties and taxes etc.

Looks like we will have to have 400 CAD( 310 US $) minimum order and we are looking at 150 CAD (116 US $)total landed cost on top (total of 550CAD). There are no other fees or taxes or anything later. UPS will drop the box at the door step and not demand anything.

Order above 1000CAD will be completely free shipping and free duties etc.

Is that something my Canadian hobbyist willing to pay? Before i spend money into intergtation and boxes etc required for this. Any feedback is welcome

I get fish shipped directly, 24hour turn, for $30 bucks cdn, anywhere in Canada.
Cant see the market.
On the other hand, we get tons of calls from the US to buy fish and corals from Canada retailers, as the price, especially corals are way cheaper here.

I get fish shipped directly, 24hour turn, for $30 bucks cdn, anywhere in Canada.
Cant see the market.
On the other hand, we get tons of calls from the US to buy fish and corals from Canada retailers, as the price, especially corals are way cheaper here.
I am running into the same problem. its $75 for ups to ship overnight and then another $75 in taxes duties fess etc. it puts cost at $150 on a fish before you even started buying anything. It may not be a big market, plus its a lot of expense upfront.
Customs want me to ship in boxes that are at least 44 lbs crush test, normal box are 32 lbs crsh test rated. i have to pay extra for these boxes and then interggration of software that calculates taxes fees duties etc is not cheap. Permits and other legal certificates etc are ont top of that.
Just wanted to test the waters and see.

I am running into the same problem. its $75 for ups to ship overnight and then another $75 in taxes duties fess etc. it puts cost at $150 on a fish before you even started buying anything. It may not be a big market, plus its a lot of expense upfront.
Customs want me to ship in boxes that are at least 44 lbs crush test, normal box are 32 lbs crsh test rated. i have to pay extra for these boxes and then interggration of software that calculates taxes fees duties etc is not cheap. Permits and other legal certificates etc are ont top of that.
Just wanted to test the waters and see.
A lot of money in the US market for reef stuff.
If I got back into reef farming, it would need to be a sizable operation in hopes to make money through volume.

Our Customs guys very detailed, everything must be labeled clearly and match exactly the import/export lists or it don’t pass.

We have a couple of coral farms that do quite well by farming on-siteon site and selling domestically, but found the US market difficult to service, as you said, when shipping and packing costs come into the equation.

Doesn’t seem to work in either country direction.

Last edited:
Back