Candy Cane Coral Dying - Help

mute246

Hey there!

Recently acquired a saltwater tank, candy cane corals did well at the beginning, and have now almost entirely retreated into the skeleton. I really don't know what to do. I originally thought it was too much light and flow, so moved them under a shelf (you can see in the pic), and that didn't seem to help. Hair algae repeatedly grew on the exposed skeleton so I dipped in H2O2 3 parts 3% to 7 parts H2O, I think 3 times so far over the last 3 months. I had picked off some sort of mollusc off the skeleton as well, and I've noticed a red feather duster in the middle of the skeleton intersection, but it doesn't seem bothersome. I feed them reef roids 2 to 3 times a week (combo of spot feeding and mass feeding), never see huge feeder tentacles, just really tinyyyyyy appendages (if even) around an open mouth (black hole in the middle) when feeding. Recently had an outbreak of GHA which I'm on the verge of controlling, thanks to the help of NOPOX. Below is my tank info and a list of my params, pics included as well.

90gal display, 30 gal (2/3 full) sump, bubble magus 5 skimmer, 2 900g/hr Mover circ pumps.
Habitants: Yellow tang, 2 ocellaris, six-line wrasse, striped dottyback, 2 blue damsels, turbo snails (lawnmower Blenny and 2 turbo snails died recently, all of which were removed when I noticed them dead).
Corals: tons of cabbage coral and RBTA that are doing super well. Duncan frag (2 heads) seems content.
Lighting: Mars aqua 300W LED light, both white and blues set near to lowest intensity, blues 12Pm-10pm, whites 3pm-9pm.

Params (average right before whites on)
Temp 80degrees
PH 8.1
NH 0.0
NO3 5.0
PO4 1.0
Ca 380 mg/L
KH 140-150 (8.4dKH)
Fe 0.0

Any help would be super appreciated, The candy canes have been like this for a couple of months now and I'm losing hope.

Attachments

• 2821D67D-D4DA-4E91-8E43-33FE127210BA.jpeg
    2821D67D-D4DA-4E91-8E43-33FE127210BA.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • F5CC06E3-2D03-4429-919E-212C8EE6BFCF.jpg
    F5CC06E3-2D03-4429-919E-212C8EE6BFCF.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 0C0E7884-11A2-4B51-9335-32097528B8E8.jpeg
    0C0E7884-11A2-4B51-9335-32097528B8E8.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1
Furthermore....

Furthermore....

Two more things !! I recently switched to an RO/DI unit (a couple of months back), reads max 1TDS on output. And I'm adding a pic of what they look like in blue light so you can see them a little clearer.

Thanks so much,
Matt

Attachments

• EF1A68F6-397C-4D40-86F1-358DFEFF8A33.jpg
    EF1A68F6-397C-4D40-86F1-358DFEFF8A33.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1
Your calcium is low, probably ditto your magnesium: it's starving. My sig line has my preferred parameters, which would be good for any lps stony.

I have a colony about the same size that started as a $5, 2 head nugget. It was getting covered with hair algae and I dipped it hydrogen peroxide once about 2 months ago. Had the same reaction. Learned that you don't dip caulastrea in peroxide.

It is slowly coming back. I have it about half way up under the exact same lights but my lights are set at about 80% blue and enough white to balance it out. 10 hours blue 6 hours both. 10 inches above tank, 40 gallon.

I would put it where where it gets lots of light and good but indirect flow and leave it be. In my experience, caulastrea don't puff up well under heavy direct flow, but they do like light. Slowly increase the light intensity. All your coral will appreciate it. As mentioned raise the cal and alk a bit.

The NOPOX is probably not helping the coral but you gotta do what you gotta do. Double check the dosage and don't over do it.

They are pretty hardy and may come back in time.

One more thing, I have had good luck with Reef Flux (fluconazole) for hair algae. Some say it doesn't work on hair algae but it did for me. Follow the directions to the letter. It does not seem to poison the hair algae, rather it collects on the surface and smothers it so don't turn your skimmer back on until you see the algae dying. Good time to give your skimmer the thorough cleaning it probably needs.

When you turn the skimmer back on, blow as much crud out of the rocks as you can with a turkey baster or small power head. Most likely the cause of the hair algae. The detritus is good coral food. Your duncans will love it. Might even do that before you take the skimmer off line.

Last edited:
As Scrooge would say: that coral is deader than a door nail. I believe that all of your feeding is having a negative effect on your tank. First candy canes don't need to be fed that often, and all of the uneaten food is raising your phosphates to unhealthy levels.

Helpful posts

Helpful posts

Thanks Sk8r and blow for the constructive comments; I've ordered alk and cal, as well as other stuff, and I've been basting the "˜dust' off them, and I've actually always cleaned my skimmer almost every week ^_^ ! They seem to be trying to slowly come out of the skeleton... will continue being stringent.

RA, I understand your point of view, but if you don't make suggestions or give advice, what's the point of commenting on a thread? Why not include your feeding habits as a helpful guideline based on your experience?

Thanks all,
Matt

Back