Canon Rebel T2i + EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

kmu

Well Ive had this canon rebel camera for a couple of weeks. Just bought on craigslist a used canon macro lens the 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM.

What setting should I use to take some nice macro shots? tried auto and no luck, also macro mode with auto focus and manual focus, anything Im missing?

What distance from the glass/corals should I be taking the pics?is a tripod a must have?

Any extra help is appreciated.

THX in advance

use the Aperture Value (AV) or the Shutter Speed (TV) and play around. you can try shooting in RAW also and processing them on the comp.

I'll give you some basic pointers geared towards macro, but these will do you no good without a decent background in general photography, so make sure you start there if you're not there already:

1. Become familiar with depth of field. Many people are surprised at how much you have to stop down the lens to get usable depth of field with macro photography. If you don't already have a calculator, just google "Depth of Field Calculator", and you should be able to find plenty of examples.

2. Shoot in RAW. It's very difficult for the camera to white balance correctly, even if you set it manually. I almost always have to tweak the white balance in post processing.

3. For corals, get a tripod. For fish, a tripod is still a good idea. . .learning how to use off camera flash is even better.

4. Turn off your pumps (generally not an issue for photographing fish) and eliminate as much ambient lighting as possible, so your aquarium lights are the sole light source.

Remember, great cameras and great lenses don't take great photographs. . .great photographers do (usually using really nice cameras and lenses).

THX guys, I did try last night to get some decent macro pictures but no luck... Even used a Tripod

What aperture value and shutter speed do you guys use most common?

How far from the glass and corals do you take your pics?

Generally, you want to get as close to the glass as possible, and try to avoid shooting at an angle through the glass. For aperture, it really depends on your subject, distance and composition. I'd really recommend using a depth of field calculator, but generally I don't think I ever shoot below f/10, and I'm generally in the f/16-f/22 range.

Also, if you post some examples, we may be able to help isolate the problem area.

Wow, I am suprised you didn't get any decent macro shots on your first try with this lense. I just got mine a few days ago and had some good results the first time around.

What were the main issues with the pictures when they came out? Were they blurry, too light, too dark?
Were you using auto focus or manual?

When I first took mine, I used manual focus, with auto white balance, iso 1600 and I played around with shutter speed, but was between 100 to 260. My camera is the T1i and I have the same 100mm lense.

My tank is 18 inches wide, and for any pic 7inches in and then to the back I had the lense pressed against the glass flat, not looking in on an angle if I could help it.
For anything within the first seven inches, I shot free hand until I get my tripod back from my mother. which was hard. I had some shakey hands, but I used the shooting a gun analogy.. I put got the shot in view, dialed in the focus, and then breathed in and slowly out, and halfway out held breath and snapped the shot.

If you want you can check out the pics.. starting on post #98
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852918&page=4

Wow, I am suprised you didn't get any decent macro shots on your first try with this lense. I just got mine a few days ago and had some good results the first time around.

What were the main issues with the pictures when they came out? Were they blurry, too light, too dark?
Were you using auto focus or manual?

When I first took mine, I used manual focus, with auto white balance, iso 1600 and I played around with shutter speed, but was between 100 to 260. My camera is the T1i and I have the same 100mm lense.

My tank is 18 inches wide, and for any pic 7inches in and then to the back I had the lense pressed against the glass flat, not looking in on an angle if I could help it.
For anything within the first seven inches, I shot free hand until I get my tripod back from my mother. which was hard. I had some shakey hands, but I used the shooting a gun analogy.. I put got the shot in view, dialed in the focus, and then breathed in and slowly out, and halfway out held breath and snapped the shot.

If you want you can check out the pics.. starting on post #98
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852918&page=4

I took the pictures on macro mode and auto mode and they where all blurry, very very blurry...

Will try some manual camera settings

I took the pictures on macro mode and auto mode and they where all blurry, very very blurry...
Crank that aperture down so you get some reasonable DOF and try shooting from a tripod if you aren't already. Don't rely on camera autofocus either if you are really close in.

I have the T2i and the 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS... and I can help.
First, I use manual setting. You need to crank up your shutter speed. The depth of field at "macro" settings is SILLY narrow... the further back you are from your subject, the easier it'll be. Try to open the aperture up a bit... and use a flash if you have one. I bounce the flash off the surface of the water (I point my flash up and it reflects back down). I use the 580EX II and I can have shutter speeds of 1/4000th, aperture f/9-11, ISO 100.

Don't let the camera think for you... once you learn the basics of how the picture is affected by things you do, you'll get much better at picking which options you want than the camera could tell you.

I do have a couple freshwater pictures... these were snapped silly fast (just as the fish swam by).
kribensis.jpg

yoyoloach.jpg

GoldRam.jpg

horsefaceloach.jpg

Kribensis2.jpg

every one of those pictures was with the T2i + 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS lens (granted mine is the L version and IS, but at 1/4000th of a second, IS is irrelevant). These are just random samples from the "normal" pictures you should be able to get. They are almost completely unedited (I added a BP thing to them and resized them). Please play with your camera for a little bit and you can get better. It's very hard if you don't crank up your shutter speed.

Btw, all handheld and manual focus

Last edited:
Back