Can't get calcium down

Fphipps

I have a 125 gallon mixed reef with a 30 gallon sump. I have mostly SPS frags, a few decent size montipora, a few LPS and some softies. I have my Alk at around 6-7 dkh, magnesium around 1400 but my calcium is off any charts on the test kits I have used. I was using a redsea test kit and it was off the chart so I purchased a salifert kit and it too reads over 500.
It seems like I can never get it down. I have tried not doing water changes weekly and lowers just a little and as soon as I do a water change it bounces right back up. I do not dose anything. I am using reef crystal as my salt mix. I am getting growth from my SPS and LPS but my calcium still stays up there.

I plan to run two part to maintain my kalk a little better as my corals grow but I would like to be able to lower and maintain my calcium around 420-450.

Is it an issue to gave calcium too high? everything looks fine and thriving, but for my piece of mind I would like it a little lower.

If your stock is happy, then you should feel pretty good. Calcium above 500 is not unheard of and Kent Reef Salt at 1.025 reports a level upwards of 550. I would suggest upping your Alk to 8 - 9 range though. Mag at 1400 will also encourage your cal staying high, 1300 is a more accepted raange. See if you can up the alk and down the mag a bit, then see where your cal lies... But if all your livestock is happy and healthy and growing, maybe dont mess with at all.

You need to see how high it actually is before worrying about it. Off the charts means you need to use a second syringe of titrant until the endpoint, then add the values together. :)

The issue with the calcium and Mg is that I am not adding any of it. So I can't really control it. When it starts to deplete a little bit I get excited but as soon as I do a water change the numbers go back up

Yes, but if it is 510 ppm Ca++ as many salt mixes have, its no big deal. If it is 800 ppm Ca++ for some reason (like a hydrometer issue pushing the salinity higher than you think), that requires correction. Same for magnesium.

What salt mix and salinity are you using?

I know this is a bit if late response...
I use reef crystals salt and maintain 1.025. I'm using a refractometer that I calibrate before using with my RO/DI water

I'll test tonight to see exactly what my Ca levels are and if it's under 600 I shouldn't worry? Correct?

You should grab some 1.025 calibration fluid for the refractometer. It can make a big difference in your readings.

well after a few weeks of adding some more SPS my calcium is between 470-500ppm. alk is around 7.7-8.0 so I am going to start using my kalk to maintain it until my next water change and see if I notice a pattern of how long it takes for the calcium and alk to come down before needing kalk again

Back