Can't Get Rid of HA

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11070232#post11070232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ljosh
Has anyone had luck getting rid of regular HA using Magnesium? I thought it was for Bryopsis.
In reading the various threads, I've seen photos of people eliminating both HA and Bryopsis with elevated magnesium levels.

Though many different fish and clean-up crews have been recommended for ridding a tank of HA, it's very hit and miss as to whether the individual critters will do so. I had a Lawnmower Blenny that ate a ton of hair in my tank, but once it was gone and the fish began eating flakes, it never touched algae again.

I started adding the Mg for a few days, but my test kit wasn't here, so I didn't want to overdo it. I saw a drastic reduction in algae. Finally, the company that I ordered the kit from said they didn't have it. Does anyone know where I can get a Salifert Mg test kit, or recommend another good brand? They seem to be backordered everywhere. So now, I don't want to add any more Mg before I get the kit and the algae is not all gone. Also, a few of my softies have turned pale/neon green, which has me a little worried about the Mg levels. My blenny eats HA, but not nearly enough to keep up. I am going to try a sea hare this week if I still can't get a test kit

I just added 3 Black Turbos to my new 37 and was amazed at how quickly they went through the algae. They are pretty good looking too.

Cheers,
Owen

Back