captive vs. wild

Typically captive. Captive corals will be already adapted to aquaria conditions, and do undergo the same rigors of going through multiple shipments to get to you.

Captive. If you're getting captive raised corals, you're getting them after the ones that are unable to survive in home aquaria have already died off.

Captive only for me. Everything i pruchase is frags from other people, always have had better luck with these and refuse to by wild now

Captive. They are hardier. Also, it is impossible to replicate the exact conditions where wild captured was collected. Some corals never adapt to aquarium conditions.

No questions about it.. captive! We should be focusing a lot more on captive propagating then taking more from the wild! I know that I am doing my part (which is to purchase only aquacultured corals/frags)

captive! although once upon a time everything came in wild as we all know, I do now & again try wild to see if I can get some new sweet colors in acros & montis to morph out, & we know most new chalice, acans, micros come in wild with new cool colors.

I think that whenever captive species can be used its always best, but with the limited availability sometimes you have to go wild.

To add...captive.

I have been pretty successful with keeping SPS -- long term, great growth and color, etc. But, for the life of me I can't keep wild SPS, within a week they STN/RTN. I have decided that I won't even bother trying to keep wild anymore.

Back