Potter Angels (captive bred) Available @DrReef

Why would captive bred fish need to be quarantined? I would thing not needing to be QTed is one of the big advantages of buying captive bread fish.

Even captive bred fish can carry internal worms and parasites. Brook and uronema etc. Ich and velvet are not common but other things are. Bacterial and virul infections can also be found in captive bred livestock.

That should not be the case. Now I know a lot of LFS will put their captive bread fish in with everything else, in which case they could have anything. I think this is a big mistake on their part and decreases the value ofbthese fish significantly!

We have 2 separate warehouses not by choice but by luck.
When I started. I was doing business out of my garage. Things grew and ended up signing lease at my first warehouse which we out grew in 6 months and ended up a 2nd warehouse in the same complex.
So we decided to do captive bred in smaller and wild caught in bigger.
I have been doing it for 5 years commercially and in 5 years I have never seen ich or velvet in captive bred, but brook and internal parasites, intestinal worms etc. are there which require prazipro treatments.

You are correct some wholesalers also mix captive bred with wild caught livestock which might be the reason for the contamination.

Last edited:
Back