Carpet anemone

Kitkatryno$6

My carpet anemone was out in the light for months then he jumped off the rock and hid behind all the rocks in the back for a couple weeks. Then he moved a couple more times. Then he hid under a rock in the sand and I can't see him at all. Has been there for 3 weeks should I be concerned. I know anemones move all the time

Sounds like it's not happy about something. Did you change anything around the time it started moving around? Lighting, water parameters, etc?

Can you post your setup, lighting and water parameters?

I haven't changed anything. Nothing new has been added. We have a canister pump. The light runs blue and white lights its a day and night light led nicrew. Its mimics sunrise, sunset, and moonlight. 1.023 salinity around 0 nitrates and nitrites, 0 chlorine, ph around 6.4. Everything else is happy. Temp is 80

Salinity is a little low but nothing huge and you should generally have detectable nitrates. The biggest issue I’m seeing is the PH. You sure 6.4 is accurate? It should be around 8-8.2 or so.

IMG_0094.jpeg

First question what kind of carpet anemone? There are several different carpet anemones with different requirements.

A haddoni which is a carpet anemone placed on the rock will move to the sand. A haddoni with no sand will move because they need a deeper sandbed.

Now a gigantea which is a carpet anemone like the rocks and wont move to the sand.

There are others too.

It makes a difference because most of the time they move because they do not like where they are, they really do not move much if at all if they are happy..

Should you be concerned? maybe.. If he is happy and getting what he needs there he maybe fine. Now if he is not getting any light probably not good.

Was the anemone bleached?

Most anemones hide in the shade if they are getting more light compared to what they are used too. They may acclimate themselves and slowly move out..

Salinity is a little low but nothing huge and you should generally have detectable nitrates. The biggest issue I’m seeing is the PH. You sure 6.4 is accurate? It should be around 8-8.2 or so.

View attachment 32402822
I retested my ph is closer to 8.4. What do use to test? Besides the test strips. The LFS i used to go to always used the strips. Coming back into saltwater I feel like I'm relearning everything.

First question what kind of carpet anemone? There are several different carpet anemones with different requirements.

A haddoni which is a carpet anemone placed on the rock will move to the sand. A haddoni with no sand will move because they need a deeper sandbed.

Now a gigantea which is a carpet anemone like the rocks and wont move to the sand.

There are others too.

It makes a difference because most of the time they move because they do not like where they are, they really do not move much if at all if they are happy..

Should you be concerned? maybe.. If he is happy and getting what he needs there he maybe fine. Now if he is not getting any light probably not good.

Was the anemone bleached?

Most anemones hide in the shade if they are getting more light compared to what they are used too. They may acclimate themselves and slowly move out..
Its a mini maxi carpet anemone he is not bleached. He was originally on the top getting lots of light and was stretched out as far as he could go and green with a little orange. Last time I saw him a few weeks ago he was small but same color. I got 2 of them at the same time the other one was smaller it bleached out a bit when it hid but it came back out after a week and is looking good.

Its a mini maxi carpet anemone he is not bleached. He was originally on the top getting lots of light and was stretched out as far as he could go and green with a little orange. Last time I saw him a few weeks ago he was small but same color. I got 2 of them at the same time the other one was smaller it bleached out a bit when it hid but it came back out after a week and is looking good.

Ok Stichdactyla tapetum is usually considered the maxi mini but I have seen others.

These guys are strange but they are tuff little buggers and handle most everything. I have had one squeeze through a tiny hole in a rock and pass through to the other side a week or so later. I had thought I lost him. They disappear from time to time and pop out later and for me these do move around some. . If one bleached a little my best guess is they came from less light...

These guys are fish eaters though. Mine caught more fish than any other anemone I have owned. They are small and fit into any little crevice. A fish swims through or is startled and bam it has a free meal.

Ok Stichdactyla tapetum is usually considered the maxi mini but I have seen others.

These guys are strange but they are tuff little buggers and handle most everything. I have had one squeeze through a tiny hole in a rock and pass through to the other side a week or so later. I had thought I lost him. They disappear from time to time and pop out later and for me these do move around some. . If one bleached a little my best guess is they came from less light...

These guys are fish eaters though. Mine caught more fish than any other anemone I have owned. They are small and fit into any little crevice. A fish swims through or is startled and bam it has a free meal.
I had one squeeze through a small hole a pop out the other side it was the one that bleached a little and thats where it stayed. its in a spot that has less light. That sucks that there fish eaters. So far mine haven't eaten any fish yet.

I retested my ph is closer to 8.4. What do use to test? Besides the test strips. The LFS i used to go to always used the strips. Coming back into saltwater I feel like I'm relearning everything.
I use salifert and occasionally Hannah testers (a bit pricey new). I also have a PH and Temp probe with my Apex. I do not test often though, only if something looks off.

Back