Case Study for Reef Sleuths: What Caused Cloudy Water?

Buzz1329

Had a cloudy water episode and determined today what was causing it. Based on tank data, can you figure out what problem was?

When tank lights on my 75 came on yesterday, the water was slighty cloudy. Not tea or green colored. Just cloudy.

Sump contains skimmer, chaeto/grape caulerpa algae, GFO/GAC reactor, and UV sterilizer.

Tank is mixed reef. 4+ years old, with 2 x 3-4” juvenile Kole Tang/Single Spot Foxface, 3” flame Hawkfish, and 4” yellow watchman goby with attendant pistol shrimp. Been battling all manner of nuisance algae for more than a year in this tank but for last 2 months tank has been nuisance-algae free. (Hallelujah!) I feed a 2 x 4” strip of norii plus a pinch of Blue Zoo formula pellets/etc. a few hours after lights come on, and some frozen food in evening (either Formula One, Mysis Shrimp, or Larry’s Reef Frenzy).

Tanks is lit by 2 x 250 watt 1400k phoenix metal halides plus 2 x 54 watt ATI Blue Plus ATI bulbs.

I stopped dosing vinegar several months ago due to proliferation of bacteria snot.

Also stopped using kalkwasser a few months ago because it is a PITA. I dose calcium carbonate solution. Since 9/14 calc levels have generally declined from 450 ppm to 400 ppm. I am tweaking dose daily to stop additional drop.

I was dosing sodium bicarbonate to maintain alk, but recently switched back to soda ash solution. As I was adjusting new dose, alk dropped from 8.1 to 7.7 from 9/14 to today.

NO3 = 0; magnesium = 1400; no idea what PO4 level is: Salifert and Red Sea say zero – Hanna ultra checker says .002, .019, and .006.

Could my Tridacna clam have spawned? This has happened before in tank, but this time I was not around to witness it if it happened.

No sand storms in the tank.

Only thing I was aware of that had changed over past 2 weeks, is that I had problems with skimmer and removed it for a few days until I figured out what was wrong. (What was wrong was that I am an idiot.) Problem solved and returned skimmer to sump three days later, where it resumed performing like a champ. (Vertex Omega 130)

Today, water looked a little cloudier. During routine water change/maintenance, I discovered unequivocally what the problem was and fixed it.

So what was it?

Mike

Last edited:
Mine went cloudy for awhile in my 75 and never figured it out. Added a uv sterilizer and cleared it right up. Idk what it was

I added UV sterilizers to my tanks and saw good things happen. But post hoc, ergo propter hoc, etc so I have no idea whether the UVs helped mitigte nuisance algae.

One thing's for sure, UV had no effect on my cloudy water.

Mike

Sometimes when my tank gets a few degrees warmer, usually in the summer when I turn my a.c. Off, I get a brief bacterial bloom. Usually goes away in a few hours to couple days. Bacterial blooms reduce oxygen in the tank so just make sure you have proper flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

In my case, temp was constant and had nothing to do with problem.

Hint. I removed all pumps from return pump/reactor portion of sump, cleaned pumps, soaked in vinegar, and cleaned again. I then removed all water from that portion of sump and used wet dry to vacuum up sediment. Then put a filter sock under drain. Problem solved. So now glaringly obvious, right?

A simle water change can create a bacterial bloom, or when you add bacteria like microbacter7, or add biopellets, vodka, vinegar, removing a filter like filter floss or sponge

I had a brief and random bacterial bloom and a UV knocked it right out in a day. Not sure what caused it either. My thought at the time actually was that something was in the air and got into the tank. I had all the windows open in the apartment and it was late spring time.

I've had GFO pour into my tank w/out any cloudiness, just a redish tinge for a couple of hours--case unsolved--as Clouseau would say.
Could be a swine anemone spawn!

Last edited:
I've had GFO pour into my tank w/out any cloudiness, just a redish tinge for a couple of hours--case unsolved--as Clouseau would say.
Could be a swine anemone spawn!

"Could be a swine anemone spawn!"

Now that's funny. Thanks for the chuckle!

Mike

Were you dosing calcium and carbonate too close in time or too close together and getting precipitation?

Back