Caulerpa Plague

Mighty Quinn

Greetings All,

I'm having some problems with caulerpa growth that I'm hoping you can help me with. When I started my aquarium 10 months ago I added a few different varieties of grape and feather caulerpa for nutrient export. Unfortunately, the caulerpa is growing out of control. Despite weekly harvesting, the caulerpa has covered several of my live rocks and is smothering the critters on the rock surface.

I have started using chaetomorpha to export nutrients instead of the caulerpa. The chaetomorpha is growing rapidly and I've been letting it get large in an attempt to out compete the caulerpa for nutrients. I also spent the better part of a Saturday pulling off all visible pieces of caulerpa with tweezers, but it grew back with a vengence. Aside from agressive, labor intensive harvesting of the caulerpa, do you have any suggestions for how to get rid of it?

My aquarium is rather small (25 gallons) and is already home to a pair of ocellaris clown fish, so adding an algae grazing fish is probably out of the question. Based on some advise I received from Dr. Ron Shimek, I have added a small urchin, Diadema setosum, to tank in hopes that it will help by grazing on the caulerpa. So far, the urchin does not seem to be having any impact.

I am starting to get deperate. Do you have any advise for getting rid of, or at least controlling, this caulerpa plague?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kindest regards,
Quinn

Is that kind of a cute plant that has round balls on the tips of it?
If so, I don't have the answer to your question but I was told that it helps decrease Nitrates.

Any info on that?

Pat

phantom said:
Is that kind of a cute plant that has round balls on the tips of it?
If so, I don't have the answer to your question but I was told that it helps decrease Nitrates.

Any info on that?

Pat
Well, I can certainly testify that I do not have any problems with hair algae in my aquarium. Between the caulerpa and the chaetomorpha, the water is effectively devoid of nitrates and phosphates.

I have been doing some more reading and it seems as thought the sea slug elysia crispata is reported to eat caulerpa in reef aquariums and do well in captivity. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Quinn

phantom said:
Do you have a refigum? or is this in your tank. I have a fish only tank.

Pat,

Unfortunately, I do not have a refugium. The caulerpa is in the main display tank, which is why it is so frustrating.

Quinn

If you can swing yet another $130 or so, et a CPR HOB Aqua Fuge. They're nice I have a small one. I use chaetomrpha in it and think I'll add gracillaria as well. I have feather caulerpa on my new TBS LR and it's a pain to get rid of. If you find something to defeat it I will be for ever in your debt.

Can you explain that in English? I am new to the hobby. Is that a separate tank? Do you have a reef only tank? Again I have a fish tank. I put a bunch of caulerpa in it and it was gone the next day. I need to control Nitrates - how can I use these plants to help that problem?

Pat

The refugium or Aqua Fuge hangs off the back (HOB) it's 12" deep by about 13.5" long x 4"" in depth off the back (more like 5" in total). You place some live sand about an inch, some live rock rubble (just a little) and then add your macros or plants to export nitrate. The fish don't eat it. The refugium becomes a harbor for pods and stuff that do feed your tank. PLus it naturally filters your water.
Do a search on refugium on RC
I got mine becuase a reefer at my LFS told me not to run salt water without one reef or not espcially without a sump.

phantom said:
I need to control Nitrates - how can I use these plants to help that problem?

Pat,

I would try the chaetomorpha, also known commonly as "spaghetti algae". This stuff grows as a loose, unattached ball. I tuck one end of the ball under a piece of live rock and let it grow outword from there. The stuff is fantastic.

Now, if I could only get rid of the darn caulerpa!

Quinn

Back