Macro Algae ID? Similar to Caulerpa Racemosa. Wild from Australian Live Rock.

Where did you get the snails? I might be interested in picking some up at some point.

Update on the baby snails. They stripped all algae (except caulpera) from the rocks I initially spotted them on.

Anyone know the name of this green banana looking one? I found an ID at one point, but I've since lost it. Interesting that it is growing behind the anemone, only visible if the anemone is eating and closed...
20231214_200152.jpg

You can see the snails in the picture above, too.

Attachments

• 20231214_205343.jpg
    20231214_205343.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231214_205350.jpg
    20231214_205350.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
The elongated algae looks like some weird misshapen Valonia sp. I have not seen anything like it before, but you hit the jackpot with life on this rock. I’m really wanting some of this rock now.

I don’t see a pic in your post about the orange foot snail.

Oh, now I see the snail. Can you post a pic of the top and side of its shell?

That's the only angle I've got for the snail.

Yes, very good rock. I ordered in two batches. The first batch arrived at my door less than 48 hours after it was pulled from the ocean, supposedly.

At least some of the life came as hitchhikers in the IPFS order that included sargassum. The orange snail may have come from there, too.

*Snail looks like maybe some type of conch now that I researched a bit. And I don't think Valonia Sp. on the algae (although I do have some of that). It's calcarous.

Here's a higher resolution zoomed picture.
20231211_223314.jpg

Last edited:
I’m no good with snail ID’s but it reminds me of the Florida horse conch

Update on the baby snails. They stripped all algae (except caulpera) from the rocks I initially spotted them on.

Anyone know the name of this green banana looking one? I found an ID at one point, but I've since lost it. Interesting that it is growing behind the anemone, only visible if the anemone is eating and closed...
View attachment 32393827
You can see the snails in the picture above, too.
@vlangel Any ideas on this algae?

That's the only angle I've got for the snail.

Yes, very good rock. I ordered in two batches. The first batch arrived at my door less than 48 hours after it was pulled from the ocean, supposedly.

At least some of the life came as hitchhikers in the IPFS order that included sargassum. The orange snail may have come from there, too.

*Snail looks like maybe some type of conch now that I researched a bit. And I don't think Valonia Sp. on the algae (although I do have some of that). It's calcarous.

Here's a higher resolution zoomed picture.
View attachment 32393829
@Sugar Magnolia You're pretty good at identifying inverts. Any thoughts on this snail?

Neomeris Annulata Sp. on the algae.

It could be but it doesn't look like Neomeris, it is the same shape and calcareous. Usually it is a little fuzzy and has a white base. Maybe different growing conditions who knows.

I have had Neomeris allot of times:

You can see it in the back of this picture.

1702665162935.png

It can actually be a little invasive at times but not to bad. It can deplete alk and calcium pretty fast if you get allot of it. Most people have a hard time growing the stuff and some feel it is a sign of a healthy tank. I like the stuff myself. You see it on reefs because most fish wont eat it.

Last edited:
@vlangel and @shred5 I agree codium looks more like it. Last time I checked there were several more on the back side of the rock, facing the back glass. They seem to burn (turn kind of red / brown) in direct sun.

The orange snail is a mystery. I just hope it eats Vermatids...

@vlangel and @shred5 I agree codium looks more like it. Last time I checked there were several more on the back side of the rock, facing the back glass. They seem to burn (turn kind of red / brown) in direct sun.

The orange snail is a mystery. I just hope it eats Vermatids...
It is definitely different than the codium that I have. None of mine have white bases nor do mine ever turn red /brown in direct light. I would guess that my codium is a Caribbean variety however.

Here's are two more pictures (almost a year old) of the ones on the rear side of the rock. I don't know if there are two different things here, but the one definitely looks like Neomeris Sp. so I think I'm leaning back that way...
20230529_150925.jpg
20230529_142906.jpg

Back