Cause of death?

G_Sanab922

So last night I picked up a pair of True Percula Clowns. When I picked them up they looked very nice and healthy. We acclimated them to my bucket that had half new saltwater and half from his tank.

All was good and they were swimming around. Also added a little portable pump for aeration. I passed by my gf house to show her and say hi since I was close to her house. Then left to my house. I took a peek into the tank and the male was acting weird and stayed close to the bottom not moving much. By the time I got home it had been about 2 hours since I got them. I opened up the bucket to acclimate them and the male was dead. :sad2: The female was perfectly fine swimming around like normal.

Can anyone tell me the probable cause of death?
I thought maybe shock,even though we acclimated them? But if that was the case why didn't the female die as well?
Will I ever know what happen?
Feel free to ask for specifics if there is anything I could be missing.
Trying to learn so that something like this doesn't happen again.

p.s. I'm not in anyway upset at the member who sold it to me. I do understand that things do happen.

My first guess would be something that was in the container before you put them in there, but if the female lived probably not. Shock could definitely be a possibility, unfortunately in this hobby so many times we never really know for sure about some of the losses we have.

My first guess would be something that was in the container before you put them in there, but if the female lived probably not. Shock could definitely be a possibility, unfortunately in this hobby so many times we never really know for sure about some of the losses we have.

Container was a bucket that I only use to haul my saltwater for WC. Thanks for the reply

'opened up the bucket'. Was it sealed? What water volume? Possibly it was an oxygenation problem, and the female freaked and killed him....fish don't particularly reason, but if they feel threatened, they may go aggressive.

'opened up the bucket'. Was it sealed? What water volume? Possibly it was an oxygenation problem, and the female freaked and killed him....fish don't particularly reason, but if they feel threatened, they may go aggressive.

Not completely sealed. had a lid with holes. That's where I had the air pump and ran the tubing through one of the holes. Water volume was about 4 gallons.

You know I was actually thinking that. Wasn't sure if I was the only one that maybe thought that she maybe killed him. Thanks Sk8r

Female clowns can be hyper aggressive. I think that might be the answer. Too little space, and freakout.

Female clowns can be hyper aggressive. I think that might be the answer. Too little space, and freakout.

Hmmm ok that makes sense. So let's say I would get a small/juvenile clown so that they can possibly pair. Should I introduce him slowly? Possibly put him in a in tank specimen container? And see how she reacts ?

Back