Centropyge Hybrid or Morph??

griseum

I purchased these two Dwarf Angelfish at a LFS today. They definitely look to have C. bispinosa in them. Are they just a Coral Beauty morph?
If I had to guess I would say Coral Beauty x. Lemonpeel?
Heres the video. They are in QT with Prazi right now. They had ragged fins and other symtoms oif illness as well. I will have to take special care of them.

The fact that I have two, makes me lean towards a clutch of hybrid angels, even though they are adult size, >3"

Thanks, Heres the video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1YdbSBHUSW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

very cool fish btw and terrific that you have a pair!
good luck with them and be real careful if using cupramine...

I try not to use copper on Centropyge angels. Ive had very bad results, especially with coppersafe. Usually ends fatally.
In person you can tell that its definitely not the deepwater Coral Beauty.
The Panda Angel is the closest thing to it, yet the fish I have have blue/purple lips and a little blue/purple on the head but its like you can still see the yellow beneath. I don't know.
Panda seems close, I was told it came in on a shipment from Bali and then I was told they were from Fiji. Both answers from people at the LFS.
Now I know collectors go out to different Islands and reef chains, and then sail back to "Bali" Indonesia to sell to exporters. So who knows where it came from.....

Last edited:
check out the thread from 3/26/13...op is gobolts23...compare pics...and look at John's comments about fish coming out of Bali...thread is called, What type of hybrid angel is this?

I try not to use copper on Centropyge angels. Ive had very bad results, especially with coppersafe. Usually ends fatally.
In person you can tell that its definitely not the deepwater Coral Beauty.
The Panda Angel is the closest thing to it, yet the fish I have have blue/purple lips and a little blue/purple on the head but its like you can still see the yellow beneath. I don't know.
Panda seems close, I was told it came in on a shipment from Bali and then I was told they were from Fiji. Both answers from people at the LFS.
Now I know collectors go out to different Islands and reef chains, and then sail back to "Bali" Indonesia to sell to exporters. So who knows where it came from.....

I feel the same way about centropyge and cupramine, it can be very dangerous, if not, deadly...but if I feel I must use- and rarely have I felt that way, lol...I ramp up the dosage over several days...much longer than their recommendation...

here is a pic of mine

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2277441

That's the link I believe HumaGuy?
Gobolts- That's a beautiful fish, the only problem with that particular fish is it has tiger stripes. Now I don't know if my pair are stressed from acclimation or are sick with some type of infection and hence are not showing their true beautiful colors. But mine have no indication of tiger stripes. The shipment that these fish came in with was from an exporter who deals with several local collectors. This particular store would not have had these shipped from that company in Vanuatu. These were either naturally occurring, or accidentally shipped to the store. I also cant believe that no on bought them or noticed the abnormality they displayed especially at the price I got them for LOL ROFL, Yea, it was that low....

ya in the light it has stripes on the under belly and tail. its just really hard for me to get a good shot with my iphone since he moves quickly.

here is a pic that shows the stripes better on his tail and underside.

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2277441

That's the link I believe HumaGuy?
Gobolts- That's a beautiful fish, the only problem with that particular fish is it has tiger stripes. Now I don't know if my pair are stressed from acclimation or are sick with some type of infection and hence are not showing their true beautiful colors. But mine have no indication of tiger stripes. The shipment that these fish came in with was from an exporter who deals with several local collectors. This particular store would not have had these shipped from that company in Vanuatu. These were either naturally occurring, or accidentally shipped to the store. I also cant believe that no on bought them or noticed the abnormality they displayed especially at the price I got them for LOL ROFL, Yea, it was that low....

sounds like gobolts too, he got his at a great price....

its hard to tell from that video. maybe take a few still pics. im kind of unsure if mine is even the panda hybrid since its not exact but i doubt hybrids are all identical anyway.

mine also has some faint stripes on its body vertically. you can see them under the led lights. i dont think the lens is good enough on the iphone to capture it though.

I took some still pics. Ill post some good still shots, the one angel is a real ham for the camera.

Also, I was wrong about the tiger stripes. Now that the two are getting comfortable and acclimated, Im seeing some stripes on the Anal Fin of the more active angel. The other angel is enjoying the inside of the PVC in the QT. Im worried that they may have a fungal or bacterial infection.

What causes Pop Eye in Saltwater fish? I need to know ASAP so if I think its progressing, I can treat it immediately. I have an arsenal of medications to use. Do tablet and powder meds for bacteria and fungus expire? or are they still effective soon after their expiration date?
I may have to go med shopping if they don't work anymore, but I have a ton of stuff.

Ill post more pics momentarily....

Furan 2 is probably your best bet.
also if its just one swollen eye its probably not bacterial. epsom salts will help with the swelling.

I just read a reef keeping mag article on centropyge angels and it concluded discussing hybrids. The author mentioned a hybrid of lemon peel and half black angels where halfblacks are rare. They look like lemon peels but with a back half with dark tones on the back fine.

It would be something to consider however it doesn't explain the tiger stripes im beginning to notice on the tail fins. I have to load those still shots when I'm back to my computer.

It seems that segrest farms offers the panda heladi variant as its also on there stock list but with no pictures.

Back