Cheap Rock - Any experiences with this?

cheelayqeelay

Just bought a large tank and looking to not spend an arm and a leg on rock. Stumbled across this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dry-Reef-R...133252?hash=item2171adc0c4:g:LDEAAOSwn0Ne9LAw

It is described as "100% natural calcium carbonate limestone-structured aragonite dry rock" and "Will not leach undesirable contaminants or affect the aquarium nitrogen cycle".

Does anyone have any experience with this or something like it? The price is right, but, is the information in the listing accurate?

It looks like pretty good rock to me. I'd be curious as to how dense it is. Lighter = more porous = better!

I'd soak a piece of it in a bucket of rodi for a week or so and then test it, especially for PO4.

I purchased rock from this seller once, it was very heavy & it was not very porous like the pics. I was disappointed to say the least...... maybe you will have better luck?
Most pcs. were more like solid rock almost no holes. I ended up using several concrete drill bit & put several dozens of holes in the rocks until i was satisfied that it was indeed church rock (Holy rock) :)
The drilling also removed about 1/3rd total weight and was also necessary, it really was heavy to start with, if you have not yet ordered may i suggest you 1st check out your local saltwater shop & look over their dry rock for nicer rock more like swiss cheese would be worth a look, buying rock on line is dicey sometimes especially on Ebay.

Back