Cheato stopped growing

wharfrat48

Premium Member
My cheato was growing absolutely great in my fuge for a couple of months, than after a weekly pruning, it just stopped. I tried changing the light (Melev's 75w recommendation) but that didn't help. I thought that maybe it just used up all the nutrients, but now I've noticed increasing amounts of nuisance algae in my main tank (brown wafer, dicota (sp?), and a little bryopsis). The chaeto hasn't really died and actually might be growing slightly just in a very tight spool (so to speak). It used to need pruning weekly but I haven't had to prune in 6 weeks. There also seems to be a bit of cyano in the fuge but nothing out of control. I did try some caulerpa which is growing, but very slowly as well. Any ideas? The nuisance algae in the main tank is starting to become...well, a nuisance :mad: .

Thanks

Rich

I have also had an increase in cyano since adding my fuge last week.

What substrate are you using in your fuge?

Also, have you just floated the chaeto in the fuge?

I have a similar problem, although mine was growing just fine for a year, along with caulerpas and halimeda. Now they all stopped growing, and I've got an outbreak of cyano.

Think it's related to the cyano? One thing I didn't mention is this time of year my temps are on the high side (81-84). Any suggestions to reduce the cyano? I started my HOB filter with carbon last night to see if that would help.

Have a DSB in my fuge and just floated the cheato.

Rich

Back