Chelmon rostratus (Copperband Butterfly) in 4ft tank?

Charley Diesing

Currently in the planning process of my next aquarium. A Copperband butterfly will be in it!

That being said I would like to keep this tank under 100 gallons (DT) for many reasons. And under 4ft long...

All thoughts are welcomed, especially if you've had experience keeping this fish long term!

Thanks,

Charley

Chelmon species are not in big need of swimming space, but need a lot of rocks and crevices to pick for food. So, 100 gallon should be OK as long as it isn't a minimalist rock work approach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Chelmon species are not in big need of swimming space, but need a lot of rocks and crevices to pick for food. So, 100 gallon should be OK as long as it isn't a minimalist rock work approach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That makes sense. Thanks for the input.

Should be good in that tank size, it would be better if the tank was mature before putting it in though.

Maturity of the tank makes not really a long term difference as a CBB will never find enough food in the tank to sustain it, let alone making it through quarantine. You will have to get it on replacement food rather quickly. Ideal starter foods are live worms of suitable size.
In my experience they prefer white worms that sometimes stick out of wild collected live rock. These seem to be part of their natural diet. California Blackworms and similar worms of suitable size will be taken as well. I've never tried it, but tiny earthworms may be taken as well by larger specimen.
You want to have secured a source for suitable live foods before getting the fish.
At some point you want them also to go after Mysis. The small Hikkari Mysis may be ideal for the start as they look pretty worm-like.

My 4th try at a CBB has been successful in a 4' 100. As stated, you want them eating alternate foods in QT before putting into your DT. Mine picks constantly at the rocks, but gulps down the mysis I feed everyday as well.

Back