Cheyenne based reefclub

No LFS here. We order online or go to FoCo or Greeley for tank stuff. There was a LFS in the Walmart here briefly about a year ago, but it didn't last long. I wouldn't have bought anything from them anyway...the livestock usually didn't look too healthy.
What about over in Cheyenne?

Only one here aquatic treasures, Not much of a LFS though, They never seem to have anything in stock, I wish they carried more livestock because I seem to spend thousands of dollars in Ft Collins and Greeley. Aquatic treasure have the potential to be great though, Oh well I guess. You know... There has to be more salt water reefers here in this area... they need to come out of the woodwork and get something viable going... like a reef club. I'd love for everone in the area to come together and have frag swap. Or share our experiences and ideas. Do you know anyone there in Laramie?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14930206#post14930206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spleify
Man only two people in WY with reef tank. There has to be more.
See what I mean about starting a "Total gallons in Wyoming" thread... total 300 :D

Is there a fish store up there Jimmy? Maybe you could hang up a note for folks, and maybe you can get the LFS involved too.

Other than the PetCo in Cheyenne, the only other one I know of is Aquatic Treasures (in Cheyenne as well). Can't say I was terribly impressed with them when I went in about a month ago. Most of the corals looked to be in sad shape. They do have a couple of large display tanks, one with some rays and another with some sharks that my kiddos enjoyed looking at, but really didn't see anything that made me want to go back. My fiancee had gone in once prior to that...they had a sign on the door announcing a new shipment of corals that had just arrived, but when he went in, he said all of the corals were dead or dying. :eek2: I think I'll stick to AA (horribly depressed that Don's closed!) in Greeley. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the former Front Range Aquatics in FC...we've bought several things from JD in the past and been very happy with them, so I'm hoping he'll do well there!
So to make a long story short...no, I wouldn't say there are any LFS's here in SE Wyoming worth making a trip to see. JMHO.

Yep agreed. I don't want to bash Aquatic Treasures so I'll just say that and leave it alone.... they have the potential to be good.... but.....
I make the trip to Greeley or Ft Collins myself.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14998074#post14998074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spleify
Maybe we should open a good fish store there then...
With enough start up money one could tap into this market. The LFS’ here are in another league than the ones I see there in Colorado. In the last 2 years two other LFS’ have failed here in Cheyenne. However, they weren’t much of a store (kind of like you were going to a guys house to buy some fish), I hated walking into one of them and smelling cigarette smoke or seeing mold on the walls, that’s not how you attract customers and that’s not how you stay in business. So, if someone would have enough money to start off right and keep fish and corals in stock, I think that they'd make a killing... It would spark more interest for the hobby and in turn maybe get a descent club going......

WELL I SAY WE STILL SHOULD GET TOGHETER AND OPEN A REEF CLUB. AFTER ALL IS JUST THE START, WHO KNOWS MAYBE IT WILL GET BETTER AND BIGGER OVERTIME :)

So far i know 3 people who are or were in the hobby, 2 of them did quit but i think they may coming back soon, and the other was this guy who had a AMAZING tank over the north side in Cheyenne.
Also if you ever go to McCormick Junior High there is a 200 gallon inside as far i know, don't know who does the maytenance tought.
About me my tank is pretty small only a 55 Gal, but being close to buy a house my hope is to upgrade hopefully next year ;)

George

I live 2 blocks from McCormick and if I remember right it is taken care of by the science teacher. there are some kids that run around the neighborhood that are in junior high... I will ask them when I see them again. I'm all for getting together.

i'm in the process of getting a 125 going actually watching the RODI trickle in as I type. (What a slow preocess)

Let me know George.

That's cool u are working on that 125Gl . I would like an upgrade like that as well a 90Gl or a 125Gl .
I think we should set a date like a pre-meeting, just to see if people respond to it and to have the oppotunity to introduce ourselves in person, that'd be cool. I also think i can ask people from Aquatic Treasures if is possible to have a flyer at the store, the Owner is pretty nice lady so is her husband too. This because we have to figure how many of us are open to participate, also we can ASK HERE at RC for people to join us.
this is just an idea i'm really bad at organizing people anyways lol.

George

Please if anybody else have IDEAS just go ahead and write here .

Maybe we could see if any of the FoCo and Greeley stores would let us post a flyer in their stores as well. Surely there has to be more than just a handful of southeastern Wyoming folks with saltwater tanks, otherwise I wouldn't think a place like Aquatic Treasures could even exist. I'm betting though, that like us, there are plenty of others who make the trek south for purchases. And believe it or not, there are people out there reefing who have never heard of Reef Central (gasp, I know!). At the DARC frag swap last weekend, I overheard a lady talking to 12gallonbaby who had no idea what Reef Central is, so if we could post flyers in the stores where Wyoming folks are likely to go, maybe we could stir up some more interest!

Back