Circulation pumps?

rd64

In my 55 gallon its 48 by 12 by 18 i think I want to run hydor circulating pumps with a hydor wave controller how do I figure out what size pumps I need I'm thinking about two 425gph but im not sure as far as future corals go the only thing I have planned right now is a BTA for my clowns. As far as ciruclation goes right now I have a deep water dc 5 return pump from my sump said to be 1400gph but i run it on medium speed so I dont know what the actual turn over rate is right now

Turnover should remain at under 10x per hour. This is so that you can more effectively perform your skimming and that you don't stir up sediment in the sump.
As for flow, it is all a matter of what you want to keep in the tank. In general, the more the better as long as your inhabitants can take it. I would recommend a controllable set of pumps such as the tunzes or the more affordable jebaos and adjusting to your actual needs. That way, if you add rock or get corals that need a different flow, you can always adjust.
Aiming for 30x for internal flow would be a good starting point. Getting controllable pumps with a capacity of up to 50-60x would be a safe and versatile setup.

Turnover within the DT can be as high as you want it, going through the sump should be somewhere between 3-7xs a hr

Id probably go with 850's. I had 425's on my 40B and it had dead spots. Now I have one 850 and an mp10. I don't think the koralias produce as much turnover as advertised. They are fine but Id go higher than they advertise.

Probably only cost you an extra $10-$15 per pump.

I will be setting up up a 55 gallon long tank up soon. I bought a ocean streaming OS-1K which has a peacemaker controller with 2 1600 gph. I paid $160.00 at my local fish store

I've got this 4pack of sunsun 528gph in my 55 http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-JVP-110-528-GPH-Wavemaker-Pumps/dp/B00LGRDFDK?th=1&psc=1
They do the trick but won't last forever @ $9 a piece. I might add to it cause the way I have them tucked behind rocks gives a lot less current than if they were out in the open. I'm thinking something like these behind the rocks and a fancier, low profile type out front to push water all over.

@shawn you can edit your posts to fix typos, the button is toward the bottom right next to the "quote" button.

I've got this 4pack of sunsun 528gph in my 55 http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-JVP-110-528-GPH-Wavemaker-Pumps/dp/B00LGRDFDK?th=1&psc=1
They do the trick but won't last forever @ $9 a piece. I might add to it cause the way I have them tucked behind rocks gives a lot less current than if they were out in the open. I'm thinking something like these behind the rocks and a fancier, low profile type out front to push water all over.

@shawn you can edit your posts to fix typos, the button is toward the bottom right next to the "quote" button.

I just ordered a pair of SunSun 800's for $15 they will be here Monday. So how do you like them, is the quality decent and are they quiet? I couldn't not order them at the price and I was needing another 800 which would have cost me more than double the cost of these.

Last edited:
I don't hear them, but I've never had a fancy one to compare it too noise-wise. The 800's are big, like the size of a man's fist. I've not had one stop working in a year of using them, but the clips break eeasy. It's like a suction cup you put on the glass, and then a lever you push down that pulls the sucker really tight. Once that's broken you can still use it for like mixing water or dangling in a qt, you just can't stick it to the wall. I think I broke more of them than other people do b/c I'm always re-scaping and moving pumps around etc. If you left it alone I don't think it would just break out of nowhere. But I like that design b/c you can leave the suction on the wall, and slide the ph off it's little swivly peg and use it to blow off the rocks before you do a water change. Way easier than a turkey baster.
Can't really say if the gph is accurate either, I wish there were a way to check that. Let me know how it compares to other 800's you've used.

I agree with Oscarinw in regards to going with Tunze or controllable pumps like jebaos, etc.

If you're dead set on the Hydors, then I agree with Marchillo and would go with the 850's. I've had the 600's in a 40b and they are extremely weak. I also do not think the Hydors produce near the turnover that they advertise.

Back