Clam Help!!

rhillier

Greetings,

I just purchased two clams (young ones, each about 3" long) as additions to my reef tank. I'm trying to get them to attach on sections of liverock about 12" beneath the surface of the water.

Each morning now, I've checked the tank and found the clams knocked off their spots and lying on the bottom of the tank. I suspect that something is knocking them off (I caught and removed one known rock crab the first night that I found right beside one of the clams).

Is there something I can do or use to help them get a hold of the rock faster?

>>> Rick <<<

Hi Rick

I believe i got my T.Derasa from the same group you got yours from (AS Kitchener) - I learned in a matter of minutes not to underestimate the power of a clam when it closes quickly. My sohal tang swam over my Derasa and the clam closed so hard and so fast he knocked himself off what i thought was a very secure position! Ya never know - maybe he wasn't pushed off - might have been a jump!

Scott

Hi Rick

I believe i got my T.Derasa from the same group you got yours from (AS Kitchener) - I learned in a matter of minutes not to underestimate the power of a clam when it closes quickly. My sohal tang swam over my Derasa and the clam closed so hard and so fast he knocked himself off what i thought was a very secure position! Ya never know - maybe he wasn't pushed off - might have been a jump!

Scott

FWIW, derasas are naturally found on the sandbed and not on rocks. and no, there isnt anything knocking the clams off, the clams are jumping off. of theyre not happy in a spot, they will move.

How much light do they need. I have a 180-gallon (6x2x2)with two 160-watt VHO actinics and three 175-watt metal halides. Would it be happy on the bottom of this tank?

>>> Rick <<<

From my experience with Deresas, it seems that the younger clams (less than 4 inches) have a tendency to attach itself to rocks. If you place the clam on top of a rock for a day or two and see what happens...In my tank, they are tightly attached to rocks and they seem to be happier that way rather than the sand...

we are talking about derasas right?

if so try putting it directly under one of the halides and it should be OK. but watch it and see how it does. it should open nicely and retain its color/zoo. if you see it start to fade color...youd better move it up.

be warned tho, if you put it on a rock to attach, be sure it is a large bowl shaped rock that will cradle the clam as it grows. a healthy derasa grows fairly quickly, which means it will get large and heavy. they arent meant to be up on rocks, so if the rock cant support, or keep the clam from tumbling, when the clam gets big it will fall and tear its bysall gland. which can lead to death it torn severly.

hope that helps and good luck with the clam.

Back