Clam not expanding

coraladdict

Hi Folks,

I bought a maxima tridacna 3 weeks ago, it did well for the first week and then it stopped extending it's mantle.The clam has no discoloration and it there is no gaping and still reacts to movement.It came from the lfs which had vho, he had the clam for 3 weeks in his tank when i had bought it.I checked for parasites and didn't find any,checked for picking fish didn't see any.The clam wants to be on it's side, so i wedged it so that it faces up,"otherwise if it doesn't get light it might die".My lighting is 2x250 iwasaki and 2x03 actincs,the clam is about 20" from the lights.My water parms are:CA 480;dKH 9;ph 8,2; NO3 .2ppm.I also feed live phytoplankton every day.Can someone tell me whats going on?
Sorry for the long post.

There might be a problem with placement. If you have the clam wedged in so that it faces up, it might not be able to open all the way.

If the clam does not like where it is, it will try to move, falling over, etc. This might be why it "wants" to be on its side. Try placing it closer/further from the lights, on the other side of the tank, or some other change.

HTH

Back