clam question, is it ok?

saf

I have had the clam for about 6 months. It has been doing real well. The other day I noticed that one side of the shell is not aligned properly with the other side. It seems to be ok. Is there anything I should do or is it ok? I have attached a picture. I hope the picture helps. Please help. Thanks!

algae

algae

It is some algae that has recently grown on the shell. Should I try and remove this?

Is the mantle ok where the algae has grown? It looks like there is no mantle there!

Scott

mantle

mantle

the mantle seems to be ok everywhere except the part where the shells don't exactly meet. It doesn't really extend at that point. It seems to be ok otherwise. I should be getting some more snails very soon to take care of the algae.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

can you get a picture showing how the shells don't align? from your pic it looks slightly bearded, but perfectly fine. if the algae is from excess nitrate then the clam is probably happier from it (they like a bit of fertilizer), but if its from phosphate, it may be interfering with it's calcification. regardless, it doesn't look critical from that pic.

edit: looking at the pic again, i guess it is a bit strage that the mantle isn't visible where the algae is, but at the same time it looks like there's a healthy growth ring....can you get a top-down shot? and to emphasize the shell alignment issue, take another right after you gently blast it with a turkey baster so we can get a good shot of the shell.

I just got home tonight and it seems to be looking better. I has fallen a couple of times recently. I am going to look at it more over the weekend when I am home during the light cycle to see if the mantle is fully extended. It has grown a lot since I have had it. I hope it will do ok. I will keep everyone informed. Thanks for the advice!

update

update

The clam hasn't opened at all in a couple of days (no mantle extension). Has anyone had this problem? I have another clam that is doing great. My parameters are good, no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate. Alk is ~9 and calcium is ~450. I feed the tank DT's every other day. It has fallen a couple of times and when I have picked it up I have noticed that the foot was extended.

Any ideas? Any help would be great!!!

Thanks,

Scott

Check for

Check for

predators...might be the cause. Pick up the clam and look closely all around and in the sand bed too.

A move *might* help.

Back