Clean up crew member you can't live without?

2 giant turbo snails I've had for over 5 years. I didn't know they lived that long. They are just a little smaller than a baseball cut in half.

One question about cleaner shrimp, will they be just as bad as the peppermint shrimp i had when it comes to me target feeding my lps and them stealing the food out of them?

Not if you cover the LPS with tupperware (or equivalent) covers with holes punch for water flow.

One of our LFS started carrying Janitor/feeder shrimp. According to the description on them they are better at eating algae than snails and they are 50cents a pop right now so the half dozen I got have been fun to watch, their small(but not small enough to be eaten by anything yet) and they like to ride the currents and go flying around the tank. They clean algae and detrious(sp?) quite well.

Next in line would be my big turbo, as he eats algae like a fat man at a buffet, although he does knock over coral that arent really sturdy, the most fun to watch are the janitors and diamond goby, he is a character. The peppermints are fun to watch them try to grab rotifer out of the water when Im feeding.

hm, not sure what kind my turbos are, but they do eat all kinds of algae including hair.

I give mt cleaner shrimp a piece of shrimp before I feed my anemone. Hes too busy chowing down to steal the anemones food :lmao:

Surprised I haven't seen anyone mention a fighting conch, does a fantastic job on the sandbed. Between that and my big turbo, its almost plenty in my 75. Cleaner shrimps are just fun to play with.

I consider my brown-barred goby part of the CUC because without him my sand would look atrocious....and the only reason I have him is because of his purpose. Keep shoveling that sand or out ya go!

Trochus snails are beasts. Fighting Conch is probably the winner for me. Awesome job on the sand

My fighting conch buried himself a week ago when we put him in the tank, and haven't seen him since. Hopefully he'll get comfortable and start working over the sand bed..

My fighting conch buried himself a week ago when we put him in the tank, and haven't seen him since. Hopefully he'll get comfortable and start working over the sand bed..

Mine buries himself, then comes up and grazes all around sticking his trunk out..then goes back under..he's all over the place. I'm sure yours is doing just fine..what size tank?

Back