Clean up crew member you can't live without?

cnreef

So I thought this would be an interesting question to ask you guys. I think it's a topic that a lot of members could benefit reading up on (new reefers for sure).

What's one member of your clean up crew that you just couldn't live without and why?

Cleaner shrimp he is full of personality and constantly scavenging. I love my hermits and snails, but the cleaner shrimp is my favorite.

x2 on the cleaner shrimp...just more activity to watch. when I feed the tank, mine goes nuts flying around all over looking for a morsel.

Agree on cleaner shrimp. We have two and they're hilarious during feeding time. We're stupid and make these weird voices like we're the shrimp and it's a hoot. Promise.

One thing I hate about my cleaner shrimp is, every time I put my hand in the tank, it will not leave it alone.

brittle stars. they come out of the rocks at feeding time and cruise all over the tank.

I would have to say my peppermint shrimp. I never see them unless I look at the tank after lights out but mine actually ridded my tank of aiptasia so to me these two shrimp are invaluable.

Often overlooked but awesome algea eaters are royal urchins. Otherwise love the lawower blenny. Such a character

One question about cleaner shrimp, will they be just as bad as the peppermint shrimp i had when it comes to me target feeding my lps and them stealing the food out of them?

Probably more so. I don't have an issue with either but I don't target feed often. Peppermint shrimps are more nocturnal so if they come out for feedings you know the cleaners will be there. You can cut the top off of a 2 liter bottle and place it over the coral when you feed it though and it will keep them out.

Back