Cleaning filter socks?

Some say change daily.I am lazy an change once a week. For cleaning washing machine and double rinse and air dry.

I use the jet spray outside to clean out the debris, let them dry out before collecting enough to put in the washer. No bleach needed and air dry.
I rescue the mini brittle stars and pods before cleaning.

I still haven't found a way I like to clean them. I used to be fine with the washing machine with bleach but that was the old days. With these new HE washing machines I have not had good luck at that method. I have been messing around with different ways for a year. Nothing good yet. That all being said make sure u change the sock daily if u don't want the nitrates to accumulate.

I clean mine by rinsing them out , then when I get enough for a load, I wash them inside out in my he washing machine with bleach ������

Same as everyone, spray them down and wash them with bleach, double rinse and air dry, I change out my socks every two days but I sometimes go three days due to lazyness lol,

Just curious why doesn't anyone put them in the dryer? Also how much bleach? I had no idea you were supposed to change them so often glad I asked this question. Thanks for the help!

dryer turns them into fuzz balls and it dosent take that long for them to dry , in the he washers only thing i like is have to rince them outside with hose then i run on cleaning cycle and then flip them inside out and run again

Turn them inside out before installing in the sump. It eliminates the sludge from building up in the corners - or at least makes cleaning much easier. Blast them with the hose right side out, then wash with bleach as mentioned above. Air dry - saves energy and fuzzballs.

I know alot of people including myself uses vinegar to clean almost all of my equipment. I wonder if you could vinegar to clean filter socks. I'm in the same boat, I am completely new to filter socks. I'm definitely glad I saw this, I honestly thought people just threw them out.

Some people buy filter for cow milk and throw the filter out as disposable. Some use peroxide? instead of bleach in the washer.

I soak mine in a bucket - (I just keep adding dirty ones until the bucket is full) with water and a small amount of bleach - then run them through the washer with a double rinse cycle and air dry - it's been working great.

Ok I read this very long thread a year ago. Did u ever find the proper 3% in bulk? This is the only reason I haven't tried this yet.

Roger

No. I was following it also but thought it was a little over the top. I've continued to stick with the bleach and washer solution.

would oxi-clean be a better alternative to hydrogen peroxide?

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/sodium-percarbonate.html

I believe there is another thread in the chem forum that covers that. I'm not at home so I don't have access to my bookmarks.

Back