Ooops, Think I Made a Mistake

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Went to clean my filter socks and wasn’t paying attention. I used splashless bleach and didn’t realize until after the fact. Always heard this was a big no no. Any thoughts?

I usually put the socks in the washing machine in the hot cycle with regular bleach, then two rinse & spin cycles with one with added dechlorinator.

Went to clean my filter socks and wasn’t paying attention. I used splashless bleach and didn’t realize until after the fact. Always heard this was a big no no. Any thoughts?

I usually put the socks in the washing machine in the hot cycle with regular bleach, then two rinse & spin cycles with one with added dechlorinator.
I never even heard of splashless bleach but after some googling i would say it's the Sodium Xylenesulfonate that is used to thicken it. It's a surfactant used in shampoo among other things, so while not specifically soap, it's behaviour is soap-like and I would guess not a great thing to put in your tank. It can also have Cetyl Betaine which although is biodegradable is also something that makes suds. Doesn't sound too good either. Might want to soak/ rince/ bleach about 10 times before using those socks again or just burn them.

Thanks Sean. I was hoping the multiple rinses might make it okay????

Thanks Sean. I was hoping the multiple rinses might make it okay????
I can't seem to find out how well these things rinse out but they are both water soluble. I honestly couldn't say how much rinsing would be required. You'll have to use your gut.

It seems everyone who used splashless in this thread, killed there stuff (albeit one used it for rock and another to regen purigen).

Splashless Bleach

Yeah, you might try soaking in a vinegar solution and rerinsing. Otherwise, socks are relatively cheap. You might not want to risk it. Good catch

I did this by accident with some old live rock I was cleaning off. I threw the rock away.

Fascinating. I had never heard about this. Back in the olden days when I had filter socks I probably have used splashless bleach.

I just bought filter cups and replace the floss as needed. No more washing and cleaning and storing stinky stupid filter socks.

Life is good.

Back