cloudy tank

tall_jason79

i just set up a fowler tank over the weekend for the wife. it is a 37 gallon colum tank i pulled the live rock out of my 120 reef tank cleaned the black substraight extremely good. i'm running a fluval 405 on it that has ran on my reef tank. nitrates are thru the roof along with nitirites . amonia is unreadable . its not a new substraight cloudy its more like a heavy heavy fog . any ideas?

Sounds like its just cycling, any time you stir things up you can go through another mini cycle. The rock should take care of it in a few days. I would let it run it's course and the Ammonia and Nitrite should fall to zero. Then do some water changes to reduce nitrate.

If this was just set up I would wonder where the nitrate came from. Are you using RO/DI? Can you do a nitrate test on some freshly made salt water?

Faz

not sure how well stuff really works but when i setup my tanks i used saltwater biozyme and stress zyme to boost bacteria in tank to help boost biological filter. My tanks when first setup cleared up quick and nitrites and nitrates improved very quick. Both are cheap in price and any lfs or petco and petsmart.

i'm running new carbon in the fluval 405 . i left the bio cylinders in the 405 since those where on my reef tank ,which possibly could be the reason for the high nirates and nitirites since my 120 is pretty heavily stocked . i'll give it a few days

Back