Cloudy water help!

just as I suspected

just as I suspected

JMO based on personal experience:

look into purchasing a skimmer for your aquarium.

I can't tell you how much easier it will make your life. I've battled bacterial blooms with water changes in the past and it's a joke. GET A SKIMMER! :)

his skimmer choices are rather limited. i use a aqua c remora on mine. it's a slight improvement over the stock jbj air stone driven unit . weekly 2-5 gallon wc /replace filter floss. bi weekly carbon,monthly gfo. water changes ,carbon,and gfo are going to be your best bets without going to a external sump.

Hi Crease, I looked through your previous thread on setting up your JBJ 28 LED. It's a beautiful tank! I have the CF model I bought 2 years ago.

You put in that nice Live rock and sand, and in only 2 weeks you started adding CUC's. There is no way you were done with your cycling. I think you bloom is the fact that you are still cycling. You may have lost some cuc's because of this, and that will cause further blooms. Did you scrub the live rock in saltwater before adding to your tank? Even if it's overnight shipping, there will be die off. Sponges especially. I did massive water changes a couple of times the first week, like 20 gallons, because of the die off. My tank cleared in 3 or 4 weeks, but I didn't add anything until I saw some algae at about 6 weeks, fish and other cuc's by 2 + months and my first corals in about 3 months.

I think you just have to wait out the natural cycle. Some more water changes, and time will clear it up!

Oh, Great Pics! and nice set up. Good luck!

Oh yeah... I run my JBJ28g w/wavemaker, pumps alternating every 6 minutes, I use the filter sponge only and clean couple times a week and on water changes. I don't use anything in the filter compartment, except sponge, and I don't use the long sponges for the reason you cited. I did not like the JBJ skimmer, and other options weren't to my liking, so I just relied on good CUC's and weekly 10-20% water changes.

OK, I've blabbed enough!

Hi Crease, I looked through your previous thread on setting up your JBJ 28 LED. It's a beautiful tank! I have the CF model I bought 2 years ago.

You put in that nice Live rock and sand, and in only 2 weeks you started adding CUC's. There is no way you were done with your cycling. I think you bloom is the fact that you are still cycling. You may have lost some cuc's because of this, and that will cause further blooms. Did you scrub the live rock in saltwater before adding to your tank? Even if it's overnight shipping, there will be die off. Sponges especially. I did massive water changes a couple of times the first week, like 20 gallons, because of the die off. My tank cleared in 3 or 4 weeks, but I didn't add anything until I saw some algae at about 6 weeks, fish and other cuc's by 2 + months and my first corals in about 3 months.

I think you just have to wait out the natural cycle. Some more water changes, and time will clear it up!

Oh, Great Pics! and nice set up. Good luck!

Hi Sophie! Thanks for your very kind words.

I do agree with you that I might have added my cuc a little on the early side. However, I tested the waters and the parameters looked fine, and there were a fair amount of algae growing on the rocks, sand and walls, so I thought it would be ok to add a light load of cuc.

I plan to do a 5 gallon water change tomorrow. Hopefully this will help things.

Is it bad that my wife forced me to watch the royal wedding with her, while all the time the only thing on my mind is my cloudy fish tank

A bacterial bloom should clear in a day or so. I'd test for ammonia and nitrite.

Is chemi-pure elite = carbon?

Chemi pure elite contains: an average granulated activated carbon,some granulated ferric oxide( a phosphate binder) and di resin. The resin is useless in saltwater but helpful in freshwater as it becomes saturated imediatley since salt water holds plenty of dissolved solids which bind to it. All in all a pricey alternative to gfo and gac.
Plain chemi-pure contains just average carbon and the di resin;no gfo.

Just did a 5 gallon water change, waiting for everything to settle and the daytime lights to come on and I will report back on the cloudiness.

Just a thought, here is how I do my WC. I first store up a bucket of ro/di water, and add the salt to it. I give it a stir with my hand (I don't have a powerhead for mixing, will get one soon), before putting in a heater and let it sit overnight.

The next day, I stir the hopefully now-warm water one more time, check the salinity, and then pour it into the tank with one of those cups that I use to measure out salt.

Am I doing things right?

Seems ok if it is fully dissolved when you add it to the tank. letting it sit overnight should allow it to settle out any ammonia in it. If not fully dissolved you may add some calcium carbonate precipitant which could cause a little cloudiness s for a short time.

Scully put a thought in my head when he mentioned snails spawning. I did noticed quite a bunch of very small white balls sitting on one side of the sand by the rocks. They looked like they might be snail eggs. Will snails spawning cause cloudiness?

Maybe, but I think it's unlikely and never heard of substantial no tranisent cloudiness from a snail spawn.
I still think removing the sponge and the bacteria on it may have upset the ammonia breakdown capability and there may still be some die off and decay in the rock. I'd wait it out for a few days and then start putting a little food in the tank to build ammonia/nitrite/nitrate reducing capacity . Run it with small amounts of food and 0 ammonia for a week or two before fish.

Crease- It would be weird if you enjoyed the royal wedding. Way to many women tried to force that on their husbands. The tank deserves your attention.

Arrrghhhh!!

So I did a 5 gallon water change this morning. By afternoon, the water seems to be improving, and I thought the nightmare is over. I went out for dinner with the wifey, and came back to discover that the water is getting more cloudy again.

This is frustrating

What/ is the ph?;salinity? Are you dosing anything? What salt are you using?

Back