Clownfish Inbreeding

Jmnazari

Hangin' w/ Rome from SWR
I would like to have a mated pair of clownfish, but would like for them to get along while they are babies and then grow to a mated pair. But is it ethical to get the babies from the same bunch? I don't know anything on the ethics of fish inbreeding etc. I assume since most clown pairs start out young, they must have come from the same clutch of eggs? I think about the rarity of platinum clowns and assume that inbreeding is a must, to get babies.

Paring clowns wors much better f there's a significant size difference between the tw when introduced. If you raise two clowns together from juvi stage, then it is very likel that they will fight for dominance when they approach sexual maturity. This can resul in srious injury or even fatalities.

As far as inbreeding goes, most CB clowns are inbred to some degree. Platinums are the result ofbreeding two picassos together, and if you trace backthe lineage of any "strain" of icassos, you will find many related indivduals have been paired. This is selective breeding, no necessarily inbreeding. This is the sameprocess used ove millinea to produce the dozens of different dog breeds available today.

Ethical questions arise more for the hobbyist than for the breeder. Breeders will try any pairing they think will produce interesting and viable offspiring. But without te benefit of their experience, a hobbyist is very likely to choose less than optimal specimens to breed. Whether from the same clutch or not. The real question will come years down the line when/if they do spawn. And that is whether or not you try to raise/sell the offspring. Then you will be confronted with the need to cull many of the juvis. And culling them means killing them. Not everyone has the stomache for that.

But in the simple terms, I personally don't have any ethical issue with selective breeding, but I would prefer to get some bloodline seperation. It's not necessary though.

Duncaholic, thank you tons for the very informative answer! I just wanted to make sure that if I did get a pair from the same batch, I was not doing anything unethical in the reefing world. Now I will make sure that when I get juvis, they will come from a different clutch, even if it's just for the size difference you mentioned :) Once again, thank you! Justin

There is no real concern inbreeding clowns until the 3rd generation.. Platinums and other designer varieties are not inbred. They are selectivly bred.. This is a WC clown http://glassbox-design.com/2011/wild-picasso-clownfish/ ... you can see how easily it would be to get platinums from two WC parents.. That fish would have the same genetic diverstiy as any other WC fish.

Pairing together two juvenile clownfish is a very common and accepted way to pair clowns.. Most clownfishes will pair up well with this technique.. Maroon and tomato comlplex clown are more difficult to pair this way because of the aggressiv nature.

All selective breeding involves linebreeding, which is a form of inbreeding. The damage from inbreeding can be fixed in literally one generation, one mating can reintroduce the hybrid vigor that is lost to inbreeding and a fish bred from two unrelated but stable lines (inbred families) is actually less likely to have any really nasty alleles (versions of genes) because lines containing those alleles die out.

The tank bred fish you get probably will not have any major problems and at worst you are looking at more fry dieoff and then a higher cull rate. If you have two healthy fish to star with then between them some combination of their genes can probably make a healthy fish.

Darn, I reworded my post but I forgot to get it all. It should have said "most but not all selective ..." instead it just says "All selective ..."

Back