Coldwater anemone reef

My Coldwater reef tank turns one year old today! So I'll be sharing pics. Many of you have seen this tank but I'm posting in tribute to it's birthday and I had to move this week. So after tearing it down and putting it back together its gonna look a little different. And I've plumbed in a 30 gallon Californian beach biotope. So here are some pics. I'll post some video in the next day or two.
IMG_1237_zps6ef85d71.jpg

IMG_3616_zps26f9d530.jpg

IMG_5516_zps9110e52b.jpg

How the system sits in it's new digs.
IMG_5362_zps1ea7e07f.jpg

And a teaser pic of the beach tank. Still cloudy 12 hrs after the move
IMG_3823_zps08ad9d60.jpg

Videos tomorrow:$

Update time. I moved a couple months ago and figured I should post a FTS and maybe a couple other pieces of nem candy:)
IMG_4137_zps0a2a49c6.jpg~320x480

Aggregating nem
IMG_2866_zps3e6a5f5e.jpg~320x480

Copper rockfish backlit by painted anemones
IMG_2886_zpsfc7a335d.jpg~320x480

Last edited:
Those are very nice.

Is there anyway to get a video with a slow pan? Or even a time lapse video?

Those are very nice.

Is there anyway to get a video with a slow pan? Or even a time lapse video?

I tried to send a video from my iPhone but it won't upload for some reason. But I'll work it out soon:)

These guys eat a ton of food. I broadcast feed multiple times a day and spot feed 1-3 times a week. The big red guy in the corner will eat a prawn a day if you let it:0

How did you get your livestock? Thanks for sharing! I have wanted a coldwater reef for years. Your tank is really nice!

With a coldwater reef, and a move, does that mean a "mini cycle" could happen 6 months from now? How long did it take to cycle originally? You have a lot in that tank for being only one year, which to me, means you either got your livestock diving yourself, or are one very lucky person! I thought coldwater was a much slower pace reef, bacteria growth wise, that's why I'm shocked at the stocking level you have. Looks great though! Nice to see.

How did you get your livestock? Thanks for sharing! I have wanted a coldwater reef for years. Your tank is really nice!

With a coldwater reef, and a move, does that mean a "mini cycle" could happen 6 months from now? How long did it take to cycle originally? You have a lot in that tank for being only one year, which to me, means you either got your livestock diving yourself, or are one very lucky person! I thought coldwater was a much slower pace reef, bacteria growth wise, that's why I'm shocked at the stocking level you have. Looks great though! Nice to see.
Thanks! First off I've collected a bunch of the livestock myself. And alot of the pieces I can't get intertidally along with all the fish. I got from Coldwater marine Aquatics. Anemones are the focus of the tank but it also has a school of 6 rockfish! It is a heavily fed and heavily stocked system and has been since day one really. I manage my tank more like a cichlid tank. Mechanical filtration is key with what amounts to and undergravel filter that has 5 gallons of Bioballs which helps with the biological filtration. IMO you can't rely on your biofilter because in Coldwater it's so inefficient. But I do run two nitrate filters one that's placed in a tray where the returns from the internal sump dump the cooler water and the other is placed in a power head with a water polishing
filter. When I moved the tank the only cycle I had, was caused by livestock that was crushed when rocks shifted coupled with a huge raise in temp from a minor circulation problem. My systems nitrate levels would melt most any reef out there, and nothing is phased. A real advantage of Coldwater to us anemone geeks is simply this, you can have a diverse amount of Nems. I have 12 different species represented in this tank. And I have in one 3"x3" spot 5 different Nems. Not to mention they are tough as nails and can withstand swings in parameters that would leave tropical Nems crying for their mamas! It's a great offshoot of reefing and one I know this group would love:)

My vermillion rockfish takes us on a tour of the tank :)
[VIDEO]http://https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQCBl42XeRNfirNL&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-vthumb-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhvthumb-ak-prn2%2Fp280x280%2F1096360_3544755355613_3544751715522_62623_2467_b.jpg&jq=100[/VIDEO]

Back