college major issues should I do marine bio

Could join the Army and do marine mammal pathology. Have to be a vet though and this is a very small sliver of work for one or two of the few hundred vets we have. Rest of the work is public health and working dog related.

When I was in college I listened to the consensus of my elders, in a nutshell "œget a business degree, get a good job, make money". I did, and was miserable for many years.
In my mid to late thirties I pursued something I actually had interest in and enjoyed. I struggled, financially and otherwise for a while, then made some progress and also had some setbacks.
I'm now 56, not rich, but financially secure and enjoy my life and work. I wonder what might have happened had I pursued something I liked years ago, but in truth, back then I was not as confident in myself.
Bottom line, my advice would be to seek out what you like and are interested in. Whoever said if you like what you do you'll never work a day in your life was WRONG! Work is work, however, I sincerely believe you can enjoy what you do.

Stay and play golf. And let me know what school your at and when you can get me on your home course for the university, I'm not far from WV. :lol:

Also, stay the course, don't let one teacher reroute your dreams of dentistry.

Corey

its the jones course at oglebay, the school is wheeling jesuit university. Many people are leaving the school because its very unstable financial the school has had 3 presidents in a year and a half.

i have no idea about how this stuff currently works, but 40+ years ago i went to the university of miami for marine bio....and found out when i got there that there were no undergrad marine bio classes, (thanks guidance counsellors)...i had to get a biology degree first, then i could take marine bio in grad school....thats when they informed me that out of every 600 freshman in the marine bio program , 2 would make it into their gradschool....i kinda looked around and realized i wasnt the sharpest knife in the drawer and cut my losses and changed majors....marine bio was the "field of the future" back then and it still is today...the job opportunities still arent there....what i'm trying to point out though is you'll probably need all the same bio prerequisites weather you go for marine or dentistry

...... (Join the Military) become a HS or what ever a health rate is for the other services then get tuition assistance get out after 4 years with a associates degree. And you get paid and basically have no bills for that whole 4 years. I live on 200$ a month and the rest goes to saving and retirement while I work on my degree. It's just gunna suck for a little bit just embrace the suck and get it done but Honestly not a bad gig

Heck, you can get a bachelors in that time or join w/ a bachelors and have them pay your loans off (if it is the degree that gives you the qualifications for your military job). I joined with an MS, that is the minimum needed for my profession, so they didn't pay off my undergrad loans. Army did pay for my PhD though. That was my assignment for three years--much better pay than a grad assistant. Paid the Army back by managing disease vector research and the national mosquito collection at the Smithsonian (partnership with the Army) as a follow on assignment. Have also gotten to run the entomology research department in Kenya.

Academics tend to like to look down their noses at the military but I will tell you that the professors that told me I was wasting my life joining are the same ones that now want to collaborate on projects because of the field site access that our many DoD research units have access too. Went to officer basic with dentists too so I know the Army will take you in and pay off those loans if you stick with that. And if you are a good one you can go far.

Stick it out, especially since you have an interest in it that can't really serve as a hobby (i think). There is no money in marine bio sadly. Keep your hobby with a fish tank, don't ruin it by trying to turn it into a career.

now my son on the other hand got an academic scholarship....just needed to maintain a 3.0.....when we went to orientation we were informed that if your kid was a straight A student , C's and D's were what to expect their freshman year....i was furious because they basically lured him to a school with a scholarship that they were going to make sure they didnt pay out...2 yrs and a 2.94 later...we had to get him out of there and put him in a school where we could afford in state rates....in high school they teach you what you need to know....and if they do a bad job the state comes after them....in college their mission is to make money....teachers teach very little, you have to figure things out on your own , and the prof's are just there to grade you....flunk the course? well just pay us to take it till you pass....he had russian and asian teachers that he couldnt understand....not their problem...took 6 yrs, 2 schools, and summer school courses at a local community college to finally get a mechanical engineering degree...yes it sucked....

I like that course! But both are great tracks to play. Sorry to hear about the issues with the school though, that really stinks.

Corey

Back