Colorado Sunburst does strange things

rpatrick24

I recently started feeding my anemone tank reef roids. Only because I added a flame scallop to the tank. It has started turning into the strangest shapes. At feeding time it opens up its mouth wide, then it turns the bottom half into a cup. Does anyone else feed there anemone reef roids? Does your anemone act wierd?

20230324_195133.jpg

Hello and welcome to the site! I'm going to hazard a guess that it's not the food at all. The anemone appears as if something may be nibbling at it, or is otherwise suffering a health problem. Of course, it might be just fine and only enjoying its meal if it only turns inward this way at feeding time. How is it the rest of the time?

Also, I'd be very interested to know how well your flame scallop does over time. I've only heard anecdotal evidence of anyone being able to keep them healthy, but who knows, you might have luck.

Thank you. He is happy, opens up like a flower every day. Has a pair of anemones who took to him. There is nothing in his tank that would nibble on him and he is plumbed to a 300 gallon system. Good water quality. He only makes his wierd shapes at feeding and only started the behavior when I added the flame who loves the reef roids.
I have had my flame for 3 months now. He seems to be doing fine. He has 3 spots he hops to where he gets the most when I feed him. Funny little things. He spits at me when I feed him.
20230119_185848.jpg

I don't know much about anemones but this seems like a feeding response to me. Looks happy now. Good luck with him.

I’m wondering if it’s a feeding/nutrient response. Everything I’ve read is reef roids is high in phosphate, so I’m curious if feeding him directly is causing that with a concentrated phosphate?

Feeding him directly was a byproduct of me getting a flame scallop. He seems to love it. I've had him for almost 3 years now. Just the size of a fist when I brought him home. Now he is huge. Fills up his 30 gallon tank when he is fully open.

Very interesting. I’m far from an anemone expert, but I have to agree this is a feeding response.

Back