Compatibilty- Bull Shark- FW sawfish-other

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7582214#post7582214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ali_Z
How is 68,000g a closet? That is A LOT of water. An adult male bull shark gets 5 feet. These fish are big and sluggish until feeding time. The tank is 7 times longer than his adult body, 5 times wider and two times taller. Their are private collectiors who keep these guys alive in aquariums that are a fraction of the size of his one.

Please tell me how a fish can be happy? It is not a human being. However, regardless of it not being a human it deserves respect as a creature of God.

Thank you,

Ali
Completely missed this, male bull shark max out at 5 ft.
http://www.conservationinstitute.org/ocean_change/predation/bullshark.htm

If you read the article the Bull shark max out at about 11.5 feet. They are not even sexually mature until they are 6.3 feet and the average is 7 feet. I guess maybe he got information from the wrong site, on the internet you can always find an answer that will make you happy, whether or not it is correct is a whole different story.

Tim

At least he got one thing right they are sluggish until feeding time, but thanks for pointing out the main points of the article, you can trust the .org and .gov sites.

Sorry, I was reffering to captive raised specimens. In the wild these fish burn a lot more calories than in the aquaria. Be that due to Temp., food, or space.

That is besides the point, what I was pointing out was that their is a lot of room.

Ali

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7582214#post7582214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ali_Z

Please tell me how a fish can be happy? It is not a human being. [/B]

If a primate can be happy why can't a fish?

well, this thread gave me some good laughs..the bottom line here..is if you ABSOLUTELY want bulls, you need a HUGE tank way bigger then your talking about...i think i speak for most of us here..please leave these sharks in the wild and look for more eye pleasing fish...people go for colors...angels, tangs, wrasses, etc. save yourself the stress and look into a big tanks with lots of color...

shark happiness

shark happiness

The issue of happiness in sharks has been raised quite a bit on this thread. I'm curious as to what the members think when it comes to the fish in their own tank being happy. How do you personally judge and what are the criteria? I'll tell you what I think about it and you guys can bounce your own experiences and feelings about it back on the thread.
1)If a fish displays a natural, healthy color tone to its skin and is free of lesions, abrasions or any other unnatural discolorations.

2) If the animal displays a normal desire to feed and digests that food well enough to maintain body confirmation.

3) In the case of requiem sharks, if the shark maintains a normal swimming posture. (i.e. no tail dragging, wall hugging, swimming in tight circles or apparent loss of equilibrium or other eratic behaviour.)

4) If the fish does incur an injury, that injury heals in a timely manner appropriate to it's severity. Wounds that don't heal indicate other problems as well.

5) If the fish is growing in size(up to its max of course).

As far as sharks being imprisoned and unhappy as a result, I don't think one should apply human emotions to fish. The brain of a fish differs from humans and primates. If fish could feel imprisoned and become unhappy they would surely display it through a lack of normal behaviour as mentioned above. Obviously, they cannot vocalize unhappiness in ways we could understand, but other telltale signs would emerge to signal distress. My biggest concern for Ali's project is what he will do with the sharks when they become too large for him. Most public aquariums do not want bull sharks on display because they are so nasty. The shark is, however, an excellent aquarium fish in terms of how hardy it is and its willingness to feed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7586299#post7586299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by olivia640
If a primate can be happy why can't a fish?
A chimp has a brain around the size of your fist. Nemo's is smaller than a pea. Not a whole lot going on besides swim feed and mate. Happiness in fish is mostly human personification.

hey I remember you. Sorry if any of this info has been said, I just read the first page and remembered the kid from waterwolves

I work at a safaris here. They have 27 big cats, all rescued, ranging from cougars, black leopards, tigers, lions and a liger named rocky who is 1,100 lbs. When we feed them they normally eat cut up 10 pound logs. That is a frozen block of meat. It contains everything there diet needs. Well most of the cats get around 5 lbs of meat a day. Okay well I have an alligator, I remember you wanting one. Alligators have an immense jaw pressure. Stronger then crocodiles because an alligators favored prey are turtles. They need the jaw pressure to crack their shells. Well you don't want to get on the wrong side of an alligator but their tails can snap your legs. A large alligator can weigh more then 500lbs. It takes A LOT of determination and "want" to care for these animals. I am getting a bobcat soon but you need a wildlife breeders permit since it is a native species. He isn't nearly as bad as a tiger but bobcats have been known to hunt down and kill deer. But a large cat (lion especially) have the strength in their forearm to knock over a 600 lb zebra. Big cats don't realize how strong they are. When they grow up with you they don't know they got bigger. So when they play the play rough. Kabuka our barbary lion is the nicest cat we have. He loves to roll on his back and get his belly rubbed. Well cats, alligators, and other things have days where they don't want to be messed with. What happens then? Like I said all of our cats are rescued from people who think they can keep them. Shami a golden-tabby tiger came from mike tysons trainor. But I noticed you like reptiles. Well I have a yellow anaconda. If you want those a nice one is almost unheard of my baby has tagged me several times. well better get her tame now and not have an aggresive adult anaconda. A large yellow or green anaconda can weigh 700 lbs. I also just recently got an asian water monitor well they are the longest of all lizards, longer then a komodo dragon but not larger. They can get well over 100lbs. and their claws can get 2inches maybe more. They can rip you up unintentionally (spelling?) but their teeth are like sharks teeth. triangular and serrated. But anyways I just don't want to see a headline where a spoiled rotten kid or whatever is eaten, mauled, attacked, etc. by a "pet" anything.

oh and by the way only the female bull sharks go upriver and that is to give birth to their babys. I believe that they (males) can go into freshwater just not real frequently. oops forgot about the zambezi and the uhhh geez I can't spell it but nicauragua. I think thats how you spell it

this is my .2 cents

Last edited:
"But anyways I just don't want to see a headline where a spoiled rotten kid or whatever is eaten, mauled, attacked, etc. by a "pet" anything. "

whoa, whoa, let's think about this for a minute.

I knew it was a joke from the start, and have decided to leave this thread and not waste my finger typing unless there is something that i must comment on.lol:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7586590#post7586590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MRBONNETHEAD
http://www.grimreefers.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8131&st=0&#entry101511

Read the first post.
"I am on a tight budget" HA
Good luck with a 68k tank then.
This thread is officially a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that I have already explained my position. My family is in a divorce, a nasty one at that. My father refuses to give my mom a divorce which causes us to rent a house. My father is demanding $17,000 per month plus more. The more me and my family spend the more we must give him. That is why I have already stated that this project is not for the immediate future but rather to be completed a few years later.

I don't need to explain myself but I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression from this thread.

Ali

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579907#post7579907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ali_Z
Local carwashes get between 200 to 500 cars a day. Most people get their cars detailed which is anywhere beteen $10-$80. We are planning on spending around $5million for the lot, buildings, and machines, all in cash. The shark tank would only be an attraction that is mostly for me. I was going to build this behemoth at home but it is just to big to be in the home. That is why I chose it to be in the establishment to serve a dual purpose.

The issue of people overcrouding is to be avoided because people will have to pay to get in. A set time or fine will be put in place for customers. What I mean by that is once their car is ready the meter starts.

The sharks will all be juveniles when they are introduced into the aquarium. That can be anywhere between 2.5 to 4 feet. Transporting an eight foot shak is insane but it can and has been done.

Ali

Hmmmm........ doesnt sound like you are on a tight budget, 5 million cash means you have plenty more to throw around.

my bad, sorry not to be critical I do respect your passion for animals. but just recently a kid (20 yr old) was attacked by his alligator by showing off. I don't know you but he acted similar to you.

I am older than you. Where is the respect? I thank you for your concern but please pm me your concerns. This thread is for the tank and fish.

Thank you,

Ali

I agree with most people on this thread that a bull is not a good idea and a tank that size is not a good business move but this is a forum to help with postive information. This is not a forum for you to mouth off and be rude. This should be about facts and personal expiearances not your grumppy thoughts! I think you would be more likly to convince him not to go with a bull if you were helpful with other positive suggestions besides being mean. JMO

well to help. In my opinion graceful and peaceful looking sharks would be good. In my opionion the zebra shark is a beautiful graceful and good shark. Blacktip reef sharks could be do-able. And my favorite shark whitetip reef sharks might be more practical. Oh and bonnethead sharks are really cool. I love hammerheads. and that would be practical due to it being 3 feet long. but it would have to be a cylinder shaped tank because they are bad at rubbing their noses. The downside with sharks like bull sharks is that they are swimming most of the time but I have seen some rest but rest infrequently.

zebras and black tips get around the same size (give or take a foot) as a male bull shark and swim non stop. Why is it that I can keep those but not the bull shark?

Btw, to answer an earlier question as to why the aquarium was so high, it is because I plan on keeping a scalloped hammerhead for a while. That species needs a lot of height as well as width and length.

Back