Conflicting info on red sea nopox

What size tank do you have ? I assume the store your talking about is on the corner of University and Lockwood ridge?

not sure if bryopsis algae or not based on the picture, but if it is, it's a Bit#h. Pretty sure your LFS doesn't have a clue on what they are telling you. It appears your only running an HOB and no skimmer? You might get away with that if your running a large amount of Live Rock and ALOT of recirculation flow within the tank. An HOB will not turn over enough.

You guys need to first get a system setup that is capable of growing SPS or LPS if that is what you what to do, then add livestock. Get the sump/refugium set up and running. Get your nutrient levels acceptable (concentrate on nitrates and phosphates first, get them under control, then start looking at others. If your readings approach zero and you still have rampant algae, your getting readings of "false positives" meaning that the algae is consuming available nutrients and still giving you a low reading. Trust me, if you have algae, it NEEDS these two components). Slow down and get your system able to handle what you want to grow. You will never be able to sustain an SPS tank using a HOB filter, and if the LFS says so, tell them they are Full of you know what. This is all about trying to maintain a "balance" of trace elements, nutrients, and light. Excess in any one usually will give you signals (much like the algae is giving you). Even when you get it al in sync, there are events that are unexplainable (bacterial, contaminates, etc.).

Best of luck, but unless you conquer the algae, you won't progress much in this "sport" :).

well its not that lfs...hehhee
wow didnt know there was 2 suckie stores here...
I will say this its south of univesity and north of clark rd in sarasota

Coral Connection here in sarasota said it look like bryopsis. Suggested this stuff from i think bright aquatics...We didnt get it til we do our homework. And we figure out a relieable storre.
Now when we were at reefapalooza my bf was talking to a guy from 2 guys corals whio he called. And he suggested lettuce nudibranches...
I did spend about 2hrs...picking the crap out got alot of it but still some remains...
How does one go about getting rid of this crap???
And if we switch from hob to sump do we have to run both for a month? Or can we just switch and be ok?

ohhh I forgot tank is 40gal breeder with 2 600 hydor powerheads....which my bf thinks isnt enough circulation and ordered 2
800 or 850 hydors...which should be here later today...

Last edited:
well its not that lfs...hehhee
wow didnt know there was 2 suckie stores here...
I will say this its south of univesity and north of clark rd in sarasota

There's at least 2 "suckie" stores and one overpriced longstanding mediocre store but I've had good dealings with Coral Connections. When I moved to Hillsborough County a few years ago and started doing business with the LFS in this area it was a huge upgrade. If I were you I would make the drive to Tampa/Oldsmar for any livestock purchases.

Hydors work good and are cheap, but I personally haven't had one last long term. I've even had one that somehow managed to start spinning backwards! Lol jebao pumps are a really good Chinese alternative, flow is adjustable and I've had one running for 3 years and never cleaned it once. And I hope you tackle your algae issue! Do you have any kind of clean up crew? Not familiar with briopsis, other than people saying it's the devil's work. Good luck to you and your bf

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well theres seascape here...but the store needs a good cleaning...and heard rumors that owners son quit there here recently...
Always see employees standing around...drives me nuts when bf drags me in there.
I almost wanna hand them cleaning utensils and say if ya got time to stand idle you got time to clean...heheheh

Back