Conservation (continued)$$$

westwind737

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1279108

This is a continuation of the above post.

First of all, I think that saving as many as possible from each category would be a start, which I think as home Aquarists.. We are already at a head start. But we need to ensure the survival contractually..

So my next question is, how does one save coral. Does it have to be entire colonies, or could we freeze tissue samples of each.

I am almost certain that the so called "next trillion dollar industry" nanotechnology will come to appreciate the chemical defense systems as the biomedical industry has already begun to. And if there's nothing to look at, I fear we will miss out on breakthrough advancement in our own survival.

So aside from aesthetics, (which I think corals are way prettier than koala bears). But regardless of reintroduction into the wild or even some food source. But purely for science.

I might be wrong so anyone with a PHD in biology feel free to tell me so. But isn't nature the most valuable of resources for understanding technology of health and prosperity. And to that effect isn't coral and all the biodiversity on a warm tropical reef which is so hard to identify... one of the most important resources.
Also, if it so hard to identify isn't that a testament to it's value. For if we found a new metal we couldn't "figure out" would science not afford every effort to understand it.

I fear we do not have 50 years but like one of you said more like 10 before this opportunity is gone. And I know there are some philanthropists out there that have some pretty deep pockets for projects like this. So never say never. So do you guys think it's worth it? For science?

how does one save coral. Does it have to be entire colonies

yes - freezing tissue won't work. coral tissue is more fragile and if we did freeze it, we have no way to "unfreeze" it and get it to live

"But isn't nature the most valuable of resources for understanding technology of health and prosperity."

probably... but keep in mind that saving rainforest species (which is probably 100x easier than corals) is a stretch for many humans.

"So do you guys think it's worth it? For science?"

of course - and not only for science... for the health of the planet and thus the survival of many ecosystems. again, funding is still the biggest issue. social security, national debt and this war that weve spent 500+ billion on still hold higher priority to most americans and government.

I wish I could have more faith in fixing the environment but if you compare the ratio of ecologically sound action in government to time, I am sure we can agree that time is of the essence.

And if we had a red line which today is 2060 for (GLOBAL) fall back assuringly. But what was that prediction 20 years ago....(150 years??) I don't know but I don't remember hearing anything... Although I was 5 years old.

So yes I believe it's up to us (that are aware) of the value of life on this planet to find a way to preserve biology outside of the environment which is subject to politics and time frames which are currently unacceptable...

I truly appreciate the work that go's into fixing the environment and i believe it's helping loads, I wouldn't suggest changing the priority here but I believe it requires an appendage as insurance.

I believe that what we have right now is a group of young adults that are much more aware of this reality than the older crowd. And now is the time to take decisive action to preserve something that may not survive the political generation gap.

I signed the petition at www.reefcheck.org If anyone reading this hasn't please do so now:)

Meanwhile I propose a project at reefcentral. Maybe some of us could put together the logistics for a project lining the requirements for a noah's ark approach, which will be open to discussion and at least propose something in another direction.... Reefcentral and it's most valuable member base could probably gain some good publicity from this and it would be an act of good faith from one of the largest groups of reef keeping aquarist on the internet.

Regardless if it actually materializes. Things are much easier to swallow when they have a price tag. And let's think out of the box. I couldn't think of a better way to demonstrate some of the emerging clean energy companies. I am obliged to put as much of my time as possible to furthering this effort. If I have any sign of support here I will be the first to throw out a proposal which I'm sure will be faulty but you get the idea...

happy reef keeping:rolleye1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I fixed it your link ;) It's .org, not .com for Reef Check.

I don't have a link handy, but there is a group doing something similar with native North American fish that are endangered. The fish are kept by qualified hobbyist's and institutions that breed them in order to keep the species going.

Hai all, I think the conservation in ocean is important because only a few research in the world whofound something from ocean.
BUt someday the ocean will gone, that's why we must save all the creature,fish,coral to the land(aquarium).
I'm already expose my idea to this forum but only 2 people answer my idea.
My idea is to collect the coral to the aquarium from around the world. thank's

nope, education and enforcement is the most viable way in preserving what we have left right now. all the developed countries in the world i believe have a responsibility to a certain degree to implement this education to developing countries where the damage is most severe.

I agree EZ =) The last thing we want to do is take everything out and put it in captivity (like lions, gorrilas, etc.). Once removed from their environment, there will be little/no incentive for future generations to protect/return them to that environment (prob b/c they'll build on it or pollute it)

I know it's expensive - but I think the US should somehow take a leadership role in protecting the environment (not just their own through national parks - but others too through education, assisting with renewable resources (fish, aquaculture etc.). Signing treaties or pointing the finger to other countries and saying "do it this way" isn't leadership imo.

The coral reef ecosystem is a super complex ecosystem and once gone it can never be duplicated by man in any restoration effort. Global warming and other anthropogenic stressors will not kill off all the corals and inhabitants but they will result in a change that will shift the coral reef ecosystem to a lower level of species diversity and as a result both the functionality and productivity of the coral reef ecosystem will be greatly diminished.

I have been working in American Samoa for several years trying to make a difference to save what coral reefs are left here, and every year I see a continuing decline in the health of the reefs. The assault from man made stressors is overwhelming their ability to naturally recover. The government will never have the funds to adequately address the problems causing ecosystem decline and many times they look the other way because the solution compromises their or the economy’s bottom line too much.

I truly hope that the future of the coral reef doesn’t come down to the survival of a few species as relics left in aquariums or other made made Arks. If we reach that point the living planet as a whole will be in serious trouble and any action taken will most likely be too little to late.

What can be done? Take what actions you can to lower your influence on the biosphere and support the efforts being put forth by others to make a difference when you can. Don’t wait for any governmental regulations to mandate a change. The best way to instigate change is to make the leap to change. Start by using more energy efficient devices on your aquariums and pressure aquarium equipment manufactures to research and develop better energy saving equipment. Do the same for your home go out now and purchase the CF or LED lights if their use fits the application, don’t wait until the incandescent bulbs are pulled from the shelves. Address what you truly need in life, not what you feel you need. If you must have your reef tank then reduce its energy intake and use it to teach others what’s at stake and what they can do to help protect the existence of the ecosystems where its inhabitants came from. Dump that oversized SUV that only sees city roads for something more economical and energy efficient then take the savings and apply them to make a bigger difference in bringing about the needed changes.

We all have a part to play be it locally or globally and the only way we can act upon making a difference is to make the decision to do it.

Just giving my two energy saving senses…. and please pass them on

Mike King

I totally agree that saving our planet is the first order of business which we are all in agreement on. I think we need to have an organized marine species preservation system. Taxonomy is hard because the organisms we are trying to save are some of the most complex on the planet. I don't think a couple of very large facilities are out of order, and I know that the energy won't be the issue if we power it with a gammut of naturally occurring energy sources which are still expensive but not for long. I don't think this would draw any attention away from conserving the enviroment. It's a concensus that the policies don't change quick enough at the current rate.

I guess my biggest question should be:
How much would it cost to open a preservation facility?
The answer to that question is not so easy to ascertain but I usually get the answer that it's too much money. Although I'm not so sure about that. Cause and effect wise I definitely think we lose on our bottom line of the future when background emergency biological infrastructure isn't present.

Even if the enviroment flourishes and we simply don't need to"save" the different organisms, it's a sad day when were trying to put whale sharks in captivity while white band disease just killed a coral none of us have ever heard of or seen which killed a fish know one ever identified which affected the plankton output to surrounding areas which made a whale shark sick. But the coral whale shark won't put the coral back in the ocean

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11631871#post11631871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mike R King
The coral reef ecosystem is a super complex ecosystem and once gone it can never be duplicated by man in any restoration effort. Global warming and other anthropogenic stressors will not kill off all the corals and inhabitants but they will result in a change that will shift the coral reef ecosystem to a lower level of species diversity and as a result both the functionality and productivity of the coral reef ecosystem will be greatly diminished.

I have been working in American Samoa for several years trying to make a difference to save what coral reefs are left here, and every year I see a continuing decline in the health of the reefs. The assault from man made stressors is overwhelming their ability to naturally recover. The government will never have the funds to adequately address the problems causing ecosystem decline and many times they look the other way because the solution compromises their or the economy’s bottom line too much.

I truly hope that the future of the coral reef doesn’t come down to the survival of a few species as relics left in aquariums or other made made Arks. If we reach that point the living planet as a whole will be in serious trouble and any action taken will most likely be too little to late.

What can be done? Take what actions you can to lower your influence on the biosphere and support the efforts being put forth by others to make a difference when you can. Don’t wait for any governmental regulations to mandate a change. The best way to instigate change is to make the leap to change. Start by using more energy efficient devices on your aquariums and pressure aquarium equipment manufactures to research and develop better energy saving equipment. Do the same for your home go out now and purchase the CF or LED lights if their use fits the application, don’t wait until the incandescent bulbs are pulled from the shelves. Address what you truly need in life, not what you feel you need. If you must have your reef tank then reduce its energy intake and use it to teach others what’s at stake and what they can do to help protect the existence of the ecosystems where its inhabitants came from. Dump that oversized SUV that only sees city roads for something more economical and energy efficient then take the savings and apply them to make a bigger difference in bringing about the needed changes.

We all have a part to play be it locally or globally and the only way we can act upon making a difference is to make the decision to do it.

Mike King

Mike I see your sig now says your a "coral reef ecologist". Is this a self bestowed title or is this something you went to school for?

Talofa from the South Pacific,

Thanks for asking Gresham.

My degrees are in Environmental Science and Environmental Health with Minors in Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, and Geology.

Doing environmental work and teaching coral reef ecology is mainly what my work here is about these days (The first steps in restoring a coral reef are identifying and removing those factors that caused the ecosystems decline) and around the world for the last eight years. Coral Reef Ecologist is also what the scientists here call me. So I earned it, learned it and was given it by my peers.

BTW CORL is currently creating a whole video series for the local school system on coral reefs and their ecology (The school system here lacks a Marine science program and needs the help badly) It's being created with only local funding, and we need more funding help so we can gather the needed footage (I’m donating my time and what funds I can to the project also). So if you or anyone else would like to help create this needed video series and make a difference in what will happen to the only United States Indo-Pacific Coral Reef ecosystems we could really use it at this time.

Two Marine clubs have already helped out by purchasing copies of the first two episodes, hobbyist can do the same.

Our DVD videos may be labeled as low-mid range productions by some (we are still using the Sony VX1000’s, Amphibico housings, Avid #7 editing, and I’m doing the narration myself ) but we saw the need and have done a very good job with the equipment we have on hand. The videos we are producing do get the needed message through to the students and at their level and that’s what counts!

The next episode is about the local stressors that are causing the degradation of the coral reefs and inshore habitats in American Samoa. The first two were an introduction to the coral reef and its ecology. Future episodes will expand upon the introduction to the ecology of the coral reef and will target upper levels of grades 10-12.

A new CORL DVD Video is now also available which covers most of our projects and a few future projects that we would like to undertake. (See the post in Announcements in forums at reefs.org or e-mail me at mike@corl.org for the list). (Sorry RC about the RDO mention)

If you or anyone else would like to sign up to receive CORL updates or the current DVD video production lists send me your email and snail mail address.

I’ll be stateside in April and I may just make both IMAC and MACNA this year. And before you ask… yes the website will be updated this summer also.

Mike

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11631871#post11631871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mike R King

Mike King

Well said.

To, Mike King:
I went to the corl.org website and read the 2004 newsletter. It's people like you that really make a difference. If I am ever in a position to donate to your project I will. I'll be following the site as well.

I totally agree with everything you said in the above posts and am honored to have someone of your stature take the time to read my questions.

I understand that without programs like Corl the reefs would be in peril. My questions really arise out of a long term fear of non local stress factors taking their toll on the ocean in general. The reef in my humble opinion the most important part of the ocean, I am just puzzled why there isn't a large captive preservation effort.

But I still fully agree that all available funding needs to go to projects like what CORL is doing, so I contradict myself. I guess in the end the defense of the reefs at the right stages in time is what matters.

Thanks for expanding my insight on the issues Mike, and the website www.corl.org is fantastic and informative.. I will be there to contribute to the mission of saving the only indo-pacific American reef system and everyone who is a member of reef central who hasn't should take time to check out your site.

Thanks again, Nathan.

Thanks Nathan and Rossini,
BTW, I just noticed the typo in what I posted… opps,

I really feel that the aquarist can play an important role in what will happen to the coral reefs. When I operated a marine aquarium shop years ago people would come in off the street just to see the coral reef aquariums. I would always do my best to make sure they left with a bit more knowledge about the coral reefs. The Marine Clubs and Hobbyist can do the same by reaching out more to the public and showing them and explaining to them about what’s at risk. People will not care unless they understand just how important the coral reefs are to life here on earth and how the loss of the coral reefs will effect them (even if they live thousands of miles away).
I think one of the main problems with the lack of action (caring) is that many people are saturated with the message to save a resource and never truly understand why it’s so important to do so. Even here the students truly do not understand just how important the reefs truly are in their lives. Most students here have not seen a healthy coral reef they think what they see is what it’s supposed to be. Heck most students here haven’t even seen a Reef tank! (There are no reef aquariums on this Island at all!) To make matters worse about 80% of them can not swim. That’s one thing I really want to change here and I have been searching hard to find the funding to put together a coral reef education center for the schools to use for field trips. Such a center would provide a learning experience where they (and the general public) could see the creatures of the coral reef and experience the habitat hands on. I have helped with coral reef education projects in the past and I know how much of a difference it can make even if the students are from the inner city.

The Marine hobbyists’ need to team up, and Marine aquarium clubs need to reach out more to educate the Public about the coral reefs worldwide (and why we need to save them). Even though the Marine Ornamental Industry is part of the problem, I believe that the hobbyists that drive the industry can become a large factor in saving the coral reefs.

Mike

For all, I think all the explained about to educate the public, hobbiest, exportir, importir, collector is done. Now all the country try to reduce the global warming, but I think the earth condition still reduce, the weather is complicated, that's why someday, even long enough( maybe 2100), the ocean will destructed. That;s why i'm try to explain to collect all the contain of sea(coral) to aquarium. Tsunami / earthquake can also impact on coral.

Back