Considering getting into tank building

Islandglassguy

Hey everyone.

Just gonna say it, I'm not a fish guy (unless there's a rod and hook involved) but I own a glass shop, and friend has has proposed a 120 gallon tank build. It seems pretty ambitious for a first project so I'm trying to get a crash course in the hobby. I'm pretty confident that I can make something that looks good and stays together, but here's what I'm curious about: What's on people's wish list for custom tanks? What things to people love to see that they don't always get? Also the opposite - what are people's pet peeves?

thanks in advance!

Hey everyone.

Just gonna say it, I'm not a fish guy (unless there's a rod and hook involved) but I own a glass shop, and friend has has proposed a 120 gallon tank build. It seems pretty ambitious for a first project so I'm trying to get a crash course in the hobby. I'm pretty confident that I can make something that looks good and stays together, but here's what I'm curious about: What's on people's wish list for custom tanks? What things to people love to see that they don't always get? Also the opposite - what are people's pet peeves?

thanks in advance!
The hot items are rimless tanks with low iron glass and bevelled edges, black silicone. They also are what gets the high price tag.

My peeves are the glass has gotten thinner. I also think by default rimless tanks should be Euro-braced but many are not. The other issue though it may not concern you is many of the stands are just pressboard junk with a nice finish.

The hot items are rimless tanks with low iron glass and bevelled edges, black silicone. They also are what gets the high price tag.

My peeves are the glass has gotten thinner. I also think by default rimless tanks should be Euro-braced but many are not. The other issue though it may not concern you is many of the stands are just pressboard junk with a nice finish.
I agree with everything above.

Thanks for the response!

No doubt that glass has been getting thinner. During the pandemic, glass prices went through the roof. They're starting to come back down finally, which is another reason I'm keen to get into it.

I think the euro braces are a great idea. We see a similar thing in frameless glass shower enclosures, its a nice way to add structure.

Thanks for the response!

No doubt that glass has been getting thinner. During the pandemic, glass prices went through the roof. They're starting to come back down finally, which is another reason I'm keen to get into it.

I think the euro braces are a great idea. We see a similar thing in frameless glass shower enclosures, its a nice way to add structure.
If you want to see what other builders are making, here's a couple reputable builders.

https://glasscages.com/

Custom Aquarium Builder | Miracles Aquariums

Here's some pre-determined lineups but will do custom too:

Waterbox Aquariums - Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Systems

Red Sea Aquarium Systems - Build your own or Plug & play?

https://www.innovative-marine.com/

There's more in both categories but that's what my brain can offer up at the moment.

Back